Boyd’s maps in Gaia GPS?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I had a look at Gaia a couple years ago, but at that time it was rather expensive and I don't think there was a free trial. There's a free version now, and I just had a look. If you go to Mapsources > Add map Layers > Custom Imports, it looks like it would be possible. I think you could use Mobile Atlas Creator to save an atlas in MBTiles SQLite format, then covert that file for Gaia with Mapbox Studio. See the following article:

Have not worked with Mapbox Studio, so I don't know how difficult it would be, or if you would need the paid version of either Gaia or Mapbox. Sorry, I'm busy with other projects now and just don't have time to dig into this. The next time I revise my Mobile Atlas Creator tutorial, I'll have a look. Unfortunately it will be a long time before that happens. But if you figure out how to do it yourself, please post back here!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Also... it might be possible to save an atlas in Google Earth Overlay (kmz) format with Mobile Atlas Creator and directly import that into Gaia. Just looked quickly and their support article was a bit ambiguous on this. It says .kml files are supported but doesn't mention .kmz files. And not all .kml/.kmz files are created equal, they are actually "containers" that can have different things inside. So you'd have to try that and see what happens.

If it does work, I suspect you will only be able to make a relatively small map. The Mapbox approach would be much better, if you can get it to work.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Not sure if I understand "left side column".... do you mean you would like a button to take you to the state tax website? If so, I don't see any way to even share a link to a specific spot on that map, let alone write the code to put it into their format. For example, here's the URL for a view of the Red Lion Circle. But the link just opens the generic state-wide view of that website. Either they don't want you to link to their map, or maybe they just don't care. Let me know if you can find a way to do this, maybe I missed something?

https://newjersey.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=bae6f833507745d287a15497d233fbbc

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 12.44.44 PM.png

Regardless, as I posted earlier, I have suspended work on this site for awhile to devote my full efforts to the LIDAR site - which should *finally* be ready to launch in the next week or two. After that, there are literally thousands of LIDAR maps that I need to create in order to cover a reasonable fraction of the pines. Not sure what I'll work on after that... probably a mobile site, which is long overdue. So it's unlikely that I will add any new features to boydsmaps online for quite some time, sorry.

Reactions: motech

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
I was just looking into how to import other maps into Gaia. They only have 2 historic maps available and no Lidar. Boyd, Id be willing to pay a yearly fee to access more maps such as Lidar, historic aerials, and your HD maps. Here’s what Gaia says about format:

Use this form to import an external TMS map source, as an alternative to creating a TileJSON file. It will show you preview images of the map source as you make progress, below the form.
If you have a TileJSON file, you can import it here.
Most maps you find on the internet are "TMS" maps, and this form should let you import them.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Boyd, Id be willing to pay a yearly fee to access more maps such as Lidar, historic aerials, and your HD maps.
Thanks Mike, I appreciate that... and eventually I do need to find a way to pay the bills around here. :) But it's more than I want to get into at the moment. I looked a bit little deeper, and it appears you can do this yourself right inside the app. For starters, download the map you want, such as:

https://boydsmaps.com/boyds-map-of-the-pines-hd/

When you unzip the file, there will be a huge file named boydmapHD.mbtiles. It appears that .mbtiles files can be directly imported into Gaia - see this:

I think you can skip the whole part about MapBox Studio, since you'll already have an .mbtiles file. Only thing is, that map is about a 12gb file, and I'm not sure if Gaia will let you import the whole thing (and you'd need that much room on your phone). If you can't import the whole map, then go ahead and install my map in Mobile Atlas Creator, as covered in my tutorial:

You can then choose any portion of the map to export as a .mbtiles file - see Section 7.2.0 in my tutorial (Map Plus also uses the MBTiles format). I'd suggest trying this with a small section of the map to see if it works, then you can install a larger part of the map if it does.

I can't try this, because I'm not a premium Gaia member, and I just don't have the time anyway. But give it a try, and then post back here if it works. If so, then it should work with any of my maps. I use the MBTILES format as a way to distribute my maps. If it doesn't work, then I think you can import the MBTILES file into Mapbox Studio, and send that to Gaia somehow. This looks a bit more complicated, so I didn't spend much time checking it out.

These seem to be new features of Gaia, when I checked it out a couple years ago there didn't seem to be anyway to do this, it only mentioned using tileJSON files back then.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
If you can't figure this out for yourself, here's another idea. I see that Gaia has user forums. If you go there and explain that you already have an MBTILES file, perhaps someone there can explain how to import it?

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Thanks Mike, I appreciate that... and eventually I do need to find a way to pay the bills around here. :) But it's more than I want to get into at the moment. I looked a bit little deeper, and it appears you can do this yourself right inside the app. For starters, download the map you want, such as:

https://boydsmaps.com/boyds-map-of-the-pines-hd/

When you unzip the file, there will be a huge file named boydmapHD.mbtiles. It appears that .mbtiles files can be directly imported into Gaia - see this:

I think you can skip the whole part about MapBox Studio, since you'll already have an .mbtiles file. Only thing is, that map is about a 12gb file, and I'm not sure if Gaia will let you import the whole thing (and you'd need that much room on your phone). If you can't import the whole map, then go ahead and install my map in Mobile Atlas Creator, as covered in my tutorial:

You can then choose any portion of the map to export as a .mbtiles file - see Section 7.2.0 in my tutorial (Map Plus also uses the MBTiles format). I'd suggest trying this with a small section of the map to see if it works, then you can install a larger part of the map if it does.

I can't try this, because I'm not a premium Gaia member, and I just don't have the time anyway. But give it a try, and then post back here if it works. If so, then it should work with any of my maps. I use the MBTILES format as a way to distribute my maps. If it doesn't work, then I think you can import the MBTILES file into Mapbox Studio, and send that to Gaia somehow. This looks a bit more complicated, so I didn't spend much time checking it out.

These seem to be new features of Gaia, when I checked it out a couple years ago there didn't seem to be anyway to do this, it only mentioned using tileJSON files back then.
I am uploading one of the maps that has a mbtiles format so I can test it on Gaia. The process seems fairly simple- just upload the mbtiles file through their website, and it will be delivered to your phone.

I found 2 of your files that were in this mbtiles format, of the files I downloaded (1949 & JustLidar JL)
Other maps had SQLlitedb format (for example boydmapHD-Lite )

Will keep you posted Boyd!

Reactions: Boyd

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
If you can't figure this out for yourself, here's another idea. I see that Gaia has user forums. If you go there and explain that you already have an MBTILES file, perhaps someone there can explain how to import it?

File seems too large to import through their website:

413 Request Entity Too Large
nginx/1.14.0 (Ubuntu)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
You can use any of my maps by installing them in Mobile Atlas Creator, then exporting in MBTiles format. The tutorial I linked to above covers installing and using Mobile Atlas Creator in detail.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Also, if I read that Gaia article on using MBTILES files correctly, you don't need to go to their website. You should be able to skip ahead to step #3 and just copy the mbtiles file to an SD card (or internal memory).

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 5.15.25 PM.png

motech

Jan 1, 2020
Ocean, NJ
thanks guys. i gave up. i think i like guru maps better for the most part anyway.
i just wanted to test a few things on gaia like the web app for maps and the folder sharing.
other than those 2 features, i think guru maps is better.

Reactions: Boyd

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
thanks guys. i gave up. i think i like guru maps better for the most part anyway.
i just wanted to test a few things on gaia like the web app for maps and the folder sharing.
other than those 2 features, i think guru maps is better.
After several hours, I was able to import 2 of Boyd’s maps into Gaia. The process was very involved, and neither map displays anything. Due to large file sizes it takes a while to test.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
So, didn't you take my suggestion and use Mobile Atlas Creator to make your own MBTILES files for testing? Those could be as small as you like.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
So, didn't you take my suggestion and use Mobile Atlas Creator to make your own MBTILES files for testing? Those could be as small as you like.
I tried a few methods- uploading the file directly into my phone, Mobile Atlas Creator, and MapBox which is recommended by GAIA help. Mobile Atlas Creator kept locking up for me on a MacBook Pro. I’ll give MAC another try at some point.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I just had a look at this. First, I used Mobile Atlas Creator to make a small MBTILES map. That is dead easy and literally only took a few seconds. I am using iOS (you haven't said what platform you're on), so I connected my phone to my Mac, started iTunes, went to File Sharing and dragged the MBTILES file to the Gaia app. Again - dead easy and it only took a matter of seconds.

Then I opened Gaia on the phone and it asked if I wanted to import the map. But it gave me an error message and said it couldn't be imported. Looking at their docs - like I figured - that is because I'm using the free version of Gaia and you need a Premium subscription to import maps. So that's as far as I got. Not interested in spending $40 just to test an app that I won't really use. ;)

But anyway, I think that's all there is to it - if you have a premium subscription, am pretty sure this will work. It was extremely quick and easy. So, I assume you're not willing to install and use Mobile Atlas Creator? If so, I suggest that you take the time to follow my tutorial and get it working on your computer. This is what I use to distribute all my maps, and after you have it working, you'll be all set for any new maps that I release.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I don't think you need MapBox or any websites for this - with MOBAC you will already have an MBTILES file to drag/drop on your phone. I did this all on my 2013 MacBook Air. It runs Mobile Atlas Creator with no problems.