Boyd’s maps in Gaia GPS?

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
I don't think you need MapBox or any websites for this - with MOBAC you will already have an MBTILES file to drag/drop on your phone. I did this all on my 2013 MacBook Air. It runs Mobile Atlas Creator with no problems.
Mobile Atlas Creator kept locking up on my MacBook Pro

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Did it work at all, or just immediately crash? If it doesn't work at all, then you may be using the wrong version of Java or you haven't installed the JDK (Java Development Kit) as described in my tutorial. What version of MacOS? I'm still running Sierra on my MacBook Air, but think @Teegate keeps his Mac up to date and he uses Mobile Atlas Creator.

Sorry, have already spent more time that I planned on this. But you'll need to get Mobile Atlas Creator working one way or another if you're interested in my maps, because that's the key to everything. :)

motech

Jan 1, 2020
Ocean, NJ
there is a free 30 day trial. thats what I’m using.
regarding the Mobile Atlas Creator, it feels like its a lot to go through to install the app.
maybe I’m just being crazy. I’ve installed a lot worse.

any idea what the size limit is when trying to upload the MBTILES?
I’m personally looking for PB HD.

again, this is low priority stuff. i use guru and am happy with it, but just wanted to try out Gaia.

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
regarding the Mobile Atlas Creator, it feels like its a lot to go through to install the app.

[...]
any idea what the size limit is when trying to upload the MBTILES? I’m personally looking for PB HD.
I agree, Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC) is too hard to install - because it's a Java app. One of the things on my "wish list" is to build my own stand-alone version of MOBAC that could be directly installed without Java.. I'm sure this is possible, but would have to learn a lot more about Java to do it. Maybe someday? Certainly not anytime soon though. So I think we're stuck with things they way they are, and MOBAC is the only way I know to support so many different apps on every platform.

What is "PB HD"?

Don't understand what you mean about "trying to upload the MBTILES"? Different apps may have different limitations. For an app that supports the MBTILES format, I think should be able to install a whole map. That's what I do when I test a new map. But if you're asking about Gaia, I have no idea since I don't use it. The Mobile Atlas Creator program itself can only access a total of 500,000 map tiles. That is enough for any of my maps, although I hit the limit once while working on a very large new map.

Glad you find the maps useful!

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
I finally got MOBAC installed, and created some very small local maps to test within Gaia. They installed into Gaia, as per the directions, but the files did not display any map data for the area I created. I'll have to play around with it some more and record the steps.

I agree, Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC) is too hard to install - because it's a Java app. One of the things on my "wish list" is to build my own stand-alone version of MOBAC that could be directly installed without Java.. I'm sure this is possible, but would have to learn a lot more about Java to do it. Maybe someday? Certainly not anytime soon though. So I think we're stuck with things they way they are, and MOBAC is the only way I know to support so many different apps on every platform.

What is "PB HD"?

Don't understand what you mean about "trying to upload the MBTILES"? Different apps may have different limitations. For an app that supports the MBTILES format, I think should be able to install a whole map. That's what I do when I test a new map. But if you're asking about Gaia, I have no idea since I don't use it. The Mobile Atlas Creator program itself can only access a total of 500,000 map tiles. That is enough for any of my maps, although I hit the limit once while working on a very large new map.

Glad you find the maps useful!

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Will have a look later this evening if I get a chance, maybe I can send you a small file to test and then we'll have a common frame of reference. :)

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Here's a map to test, it's a USGS 24k topo in a small file (about 12MB) and only covers this approximate area around Chatsworth

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 5.53.26 PM.png

It was created with Mobile Atlas Creator using the MBTILES SQLITE format and includes zoom levels 9 through 16. You will need to unzip the download, which should then give you a file named "chatsworth.mbtiles". Based on their website, I think it's just a matter of copying this file to the correct folder on your phone, as explained here

You would skip the whole part about Mapbox and follow the instructions that begin with

------------------------------
Importing MBTiles into the Android version of Gaia GPS
1. Tap the Create icon in Gaia GPS

------------------------------

If you're using the iOS version, I *assume* you would do this with iTunes file sharing. I cover that topic in my Mobile Atlas Creator tutorial. Here's the download link, let me know if this works.

https://boydsmaps.com/download/chatsworth.zip