boydsmaps.com is moving!

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The one-year anniversary of online.boydsmaps.com is soon approaching and I have decided to continue the site for another year. Instead of simply renewing my current lease, I will be moving to a new cloud-based plan which replaces the single dedicated server with a cluster that works together and offers greater reliability. I'm also doubling the disk space (which has been filling up fast), so there will be plenty of room for more maps in the coming year.

There will be some downtime during the move, but hopefully it won't take too long. It will have a new IP address also, and that might take a day to propagate over the internet. I will post back here when I know the exact schedule. Most likely, it will happen this weekend. This change will affect https://online.boydsmaps.com and https://lidar.boydsmaps.com, but not the original https://boydsmaps.com which is hosted on a separate server.

This is all just technical stuff that I have to deal with. Nothing will change from your point of view and after the move is completed, everything will work exactly the same and no links will change.

Stay tuned for more!

Last edited:

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Looks like the move to the new server will not happen this weekend after all, it has been tentatively scheduled for the weekend of April 4 - 5. Will post an update when we get closer to the date.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
I'm also doubling the disk space (which has been filling up fast), so there will be plenty of room for more maps in the coming year.
After some consideration, I have actually chosen a new server with almost four times the disk space, 50% more memory and twice the CPU cores - the price difference isn't all that great. So we should see improved performance and have lots of room for new maps. The upgrade is still scheduled for the weekend of April 4 - 5. :)

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Just a "heads-up" - the move to the new server will take place this weekend, which means that online.boydsmaps.com and lidar.boydsmaps.com will be unavailable for awhile. If you need to use either of these sites, I suggest that you do it today. I should have more information on the exact schedule soon, and will post updates here.

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Just a quick update. Tech support says they have moved all my files (over 2 million!) to the new server and it's ready to go. But he neglected to include some vital info, so I can't make the switch, and he evidently went home for the day, LOL. No big deal, the site is still up and running on the old server. When we finally do the switch (tomorrow?) there may be an outage. Will post an update then.

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Works for me. What is different? I contacted Ben, and he said that he accidentally deleted a configuration file while working on another site, so he fixed it.

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Back on topic. ;)

The new server is online and I have just changed the DNS records to point to it. This may take awhile to take hold, and you may or may not experience some problems. Since the old server is also still working, theoretically you will just see that until some point when you will be directed to the new one.

That's the "theory" in any case. But I have not had the time to actually check out the new server myself, since I just now got the full info on it. And I'm heading out for a walk at the moment. Will check things out more thoroughly later this afternoon. Let me know if you find any problems.

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Well I can confirm that we are running on the new server now - at least for me. The way computer addresses are determined could mean that some people are still seeing the old server. If so, that will automatically change very soon. There's still a minor tech detail to work out with support, but that doesn't affect the websites.

Everything seems very fast for me at the moment. Let me know if you notice any difference. The way to judge this would be with my own maps (from the first group in the menu) which are locally-hosted. The other groups (NJ, NY, PA, etc) are dependent on remote servers and are typically slower anyway.

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 2.28.34 PM.png

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Playing around some more... this thing is definitely faster. Switching between the maps on the list above is instantaneous for me, so is zooming. And I can "throw" the map (drag fast, then release) and it updates as it flies by. Would be interested to hear if anyone else notices a difference.

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
There's still a minor tech detail to work out with support
Everything is sorted out now. There was a configuration problem, and even though the site was fast, only one CPU core was working. Support fixed that overnight. My guess is that it wouldn't make much difference unless a bunch of people were using the site at the same time anyway.

Now I can get back to adding more tiles to the LIDAR map. :)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Boyd, it builds as it goes. I think the old server was faster, but I"ll keep an eye on it. Also, didn't you somehow tweak the 95 aerial to remove the red shading?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I just went back, and it changed. 5 minutes ago my favorites were not shown, then I went back in and they are, the site is faster, and the 95 aerial red color is gone.

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
It's possible that the red color might have shown on the 95 aerials, because it's really there, but there's a filter that should remove it. I have never seen that happen myself. The favorites are stored on your own computer, so the server shouldn't have any effect on that, unless for some reason, the site was not properly recognized.

But what you describe might happen if you used Internet Explorer, or some other old browser. Both that color filter and the favorites are not compatible with old browsers. Anyway, glad that it works now. It's very fast for me.