boydsmaps site/connectivity problems

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Use this thread to report connectivity or other problems with the app or site. I will also post updates here on any site maintenance or upgrades.

Note: To keep this thread short, most problem reports will be deleted after they are resolved.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Event Summary:
boydsmaps.com went down at 7:30 PM on Friday, March 29 and came back up at 9:00 PM on Tuesday, April 2 with full restoration of all content by 7:00 PM on Thursday, April 4.

To make a long story short, the hosting company rushed into migrating the site to a new server without advance discussion, as we had planned. I calculated their method would take over two weeks due to the very large amount of data and slow interface on the old server - something they apparently didn't consider.

It became clear that the fastest way to restore the site would be to do it myself since my internet is more than 10 times faster than their connection to the old server (the new server is much faster). The site consists of two terabytes of data and 73 million files, which made things difficult. Basically, the process was like rebuilding a house, brick by brick. :D

But we're back now, on a faster server with three terabytes of disk - plenty of room for new maps!

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Quick FYI: over the next couple days I'll be gradually uploading/installing more NAIP 2023 aerials to match the new coverage area of the Northeast LIDAR map. Lots of data, around 300gb (~2.5 million map tiles). The new server has more processors and a faster interface, so I doubt that you will even notice the activity. However, part of the installation will involve deleting some map tiles and replacing them with new ones. This could cause you to get some errors when accessing these aerials. Just try again later if that happens.

Reactions: RednekF350

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
part of the installation will involve deleting some map tiles and replacing them with new ones. This could cause you to get some errors when accessing these aerials.

Am working on this today, so you might experience problems accessing the NAIP aerials at times. The interruptions should be brief and installation will be completed today, will make another post at that time.

Reactions: RednekF350

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
All done! See this thread for more info: