Breaking self imposed NJPB quarantine...

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Some recent trips into the woods. Stay safe everyone.
02-02-2020-pitch-pine.jpg
03-11-2020-tree.jpg
2020-03-02-sunrise-dam.jpg
2020-02-02_lodge2.jpg
2020-02-02_lodge.jpg
2020-02-01_winter_mist.jpg
2019-01-18_snow_sluice.jpg
2019-01-19_misty_stream.jpg
12-31-2019-cedar-swamp.jpg
03-16-2020-sphagnum.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Seeing the beaver lodge jarred my memory as to a question I"ve been meaning to ask.Does anyone know why the beavers abandoned the Mullica River pond at Loucks bridge? I hadn't been there in quite awhile and it is no longer a pond but a meadow.I had seen this a year or so ago but wrote it off to a temporary damn break but this seems to now be permanent.were they removed or did they leave?

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Seeing the beaver lodge jarred my memory as to a question I"ve been meaning to ask.Does anyone know why the beavers abandoned the Mullica River pond at Loucks bridge? I hadn't been there in quite awhile and it is no longer a pond but a meadow.I had seen this a year or so ago but wrote it off to a temporary damn break but this seems to now be permanent.were they removed or did they leave?
I was there yesterday Al and I still see evidence that they are still there. There were several small dams that appear to be maintained.

Reactions: manumuskin
T

Toothy Critter

I need more walls in my house so I can put up some of your photos, ESP that first one. The light! Thanks again for your view of our world.

QUOTE="Jon Holcombe, post: 159597, member: 2398"]
Some recent trips into the woods. Stay safe everyone.
View attachment 13234View attachment 13235View attachment 13236View attachment 13237View attachment 13238View attachment 13239View attachment 13240View attachment 13241View attachment 13242View attachment 13243
[/QUOTE]

I thought you were interested in a camera Jersey Girl? Go take some pics of your own to hang up on your walls. :)

Reactions: Boyd

I thought you were interested in a camera Jersey Girl? Go take some pics of your own to hang up on your walls. :)
[/QUOTE]

Yup. Looked at several SRL cameras. Way too heavy. Jon, what did you take these with? Did someone mention using a Powershot?

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Yup. Looked at several SRL cameras. Way too heavy. Jon, what did you take these with? Did someone mention using a Powershot?

Jersey Girl, my Nikon D850 and lenses are real heavy. I carry a backpack with tripod and lenses that weighs close to 30 lbs. A lot of people are going Mirrorless. Sony or Fuji I think, I can't really advise which system or brand, price, etc. But DP Review is a great source of info. https://www.dpreview.com.

You may want to get something inexpensive, second hand or refurbished, walk through the woods and see if you get the bug. Once you start importing photos into your computer, you have to work on them, and unless you are very savvy with processing software, that may be where you lose interest.

I started out a few years ago with the intention of taking reference photos and ultimately painting in oils. My degree is fine art, and I have been a graphic designer for 40 years. Turns out I like exploring, and hiking, far more than sitting in studio painting, so taking photos became my end game. Along the way I designed tour T-shirts for rock bands. If you can draw, maybe buy a pad with pastels and draw or paint "al fresco".

dylan.jpg
van-halen.jpg
neil-young.jpg

Jersey Girl, my Nikon D850 and lenses are real heavy. I carry a backpack with tripod and lenses that weighs close to 30 lbs. A lot of people are going Mirrorless. Sony or Fuji I think, I can't really advise which system or brand, price, etc. But DP Review is a great source of info. https://www.dpreview.com.

You may want to get something inexpensive, second hand or refurbished, walk through the woods and see if you get the bug. Once you start importing photos into your computer, you have to work on them, and unless you are very savvy with processing software, that may be where you lose interest.

I started out a few years ago with the intention of taking reference photos and ultimately painting in oils. My degree is fine art, and I have been a graphic designer for 40 years. Turns out I like exploring, and hiking, far more than sitting in studio painting, so taking photos became my end game. Along the way I designed tour T-shirts for rock bands. If you can draw, maybe buy a pad with pastels and draw or paint "al fresco".

View attachment 13262View attachment 13264View attachment 13263

Oh Wow. I knew you are good, but these images are over the top. Thanks for these and for the good advice.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
IMO, it's very simple. If you're interested in photography, take pictures with whatever you have. You can be an artist with a ten year old cell phone. A musician doesn't need to start with a symphony orchestra, a painter doesn't need imported oils and expensive linen. Talk is cheap. And it's not art.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
IMO, it's very simple. If you're interested in photography, take pictures with whatever you have. You can be an artist with a ten year old cell phone. A musician doesn't need to start with a symphony orchestra, a painter doesn't need imported oils and expensive linen. Talk is cheap. And it's not art.

"Talk is cheap. And it's not art." Why did you add that to the end Boyd, what do you mean by it? It doesn't seem to fit the rest of the paragraph. I'm just curious.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My point was: artists practice their art, they don't just talk about it and make excuses for not creating anything.

I hate to sound critical, but we already had a conversation about cameras months ago, and some very good suggestions were made. I thought @Toothy Critter 's post was spot on. If you are really interested in photography, just take some pictures and show us what you can do. Saying you haven't taken any photos because a DSLR is "too heavy" is not a very good excuse, sorry. You don't need a DSLR.

Don't take this as a personal attack - it's a call to action! Get out there and take tons of pictures with whatever you have. You will learn a lot and I'm sure you'll get plenty of encouragement here in the forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx
My point was: artists practice their art, they don't just talk about it and make excuses for not creating anything.

I hate to sound critical, but we already had a conversation about cameras months ago, and some very good suggestions were made. I thought @Toothy Critter 's post was spot on. If you are really interested in photography, just take some pictures and show us what you can do. Saying you haven't taken any photos because a DSLR is "too heavy" is not a very good excuse, sorry. You don't need a DSLR.

Don't take this as a personal attack - it's a call to action! Get out there and take tons of pictures with whatever you have. You will learn a lot and I'm sure you'll get plenty of encouragement here in the forums.

Relax, I don't take anything here as a personal attack, only people who know me better have enough info to dislike me. I do procrastinate; tend to overthink purchases. (You don't want to know how long it took me to decide which clothes washer to buy!)

I haven't bought a camera yet and am still shopping. Lots to choose from, excellent advice from guys on this forum narrowed the field. Thanks again to all of you.

He has a point. Time to pull the trigger/shutter!

Reactions: Boyd