BRIDGES AND FLIES AND FRIES OH MY

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Mehh,
Been awhile since I've shared something so I'll go with a familiar trip that never bores me.
Saturday was a man trip day.
So Sam, Jason, and I, with Bee-Gees C/D (A staple for this drive) went off to a junket to Seven Bridges road to check out the fly population. 542 was nice and we caught 9 just right, no real cars.
Caught the GiffordTown School House a bit early but a fellow happened to be there to let us in.
Behold, it was Barry C's father. Interesting fellow. Quite the talker.
Eventually Pete Stemmer got in but we had committed to go and we will have to see him again when we have more time. it was funny to see how many mutual folks we all know.
Then to the bridges which were like old friends up to the end. Clothes drenched in repellant, which only serve as a drink before their meal, did nothing to the demon flies. Two couples and an old timer were making good time to their cars and off to safer ground. Up the path to the water I wish I felt like stopping but chose not to. Sam was in a grey tank top and at one point from behind, leg to shorts, to top, to head and hair was a mass of black. Wild. Jason... did not approve, at all, to any of this. Oh well, we spent a scant bit of time and headed to the car. Some fellow and his lady were getting out of a car and he indicated his wishes to have a look at things. The lady did not seem the wild things loving type. So says me, "there's great sights up that path by all means it'll give you a memory you'll not soon forget". She already looked suspicious. perhaps that date may have ended poorly but hey, it got a smile out of Sam. He knows just how low I can be. It was some long time riding a little faster than the posted limits with open windows and A/C on to drive the intrusive Demons out that breeched the security of the car. Is it impossible to comprehend that flies dig Disco music?
Back to friendlier beaches and breezes at first bridge and for awhile then to Stewart's for touristy food, fries, & sodypop. Why not? We all were kind of peacefully sleepy and dreamy and the pleasant ride home made for a late afternoon rest on all parts. We left the women folk home on this one and given the maneaters it was best. All in, when we try to split our load with multiple chillun', sometimes you just gotta do a Man Run. That's about it. Oh, hi all.

g.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Nice report George. I enjoy a drive out to Seven Bridges in the fall and winter.
A few more weeks and the greenies and black flies should be but a bad memory.

The black flies were horrendous offshore this Saturday. Dottie and I were reef fishing on Saturday and the boat was full of the biting b'stards. Deep Woods Off seemed to be an appetizer.
A friend down on the dock had them all day 80 miles offshore at the Wilmington Canyon on Saturday, the worst he ever experienced.

It is amazing how a west wind will transport them over the open ocean.
Even more amazing is how they then find your boat in all that water and go about their business of making you want to jump overboard and swim to port.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I live a few hundred yards from Seven Bridges but spend little time there outside my truck during the time the greenheads rule, other than to occasionally launch my boat at the first bridge. I have more than ample opportunity to explore the thorofares and criks with my kayak the rest of the year. When I was younger I seemed to tolerate the flies better while crabbing, clamming or tending killie pots. My sons do little of those things now. Their enjoyment of the bay mostly involves dragging each other behind our boat in inflatable devices. Alas, times have changed.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Hi George and all. Good company on this post.

I have a favorite botanizing location in Manahawkin swamp, right about where it turns maritime. The flies and mosquitoes glean special delight in torturing me. It's like they are on their own special brand of meth. So I have an old but quite serviceable mosquito net hat. I put that on, along with a long-sleeve shirt, and ventured out there, smugly prideful. It took only 10 minutes, and my glasses had fogged up and I was sweating profusely. The sound of them rapping on the screen was it's own kind of torture as I stumbled through the area half blind, being pulled first one way and then the other by giant greenbriar thorns. I finally had to lift at least the front up to see the way ahead. Big mistake...took one on the upper lip...oh joy!

Overall, it did work, but may not be worth the effort since you risk dying of dehydration and frustration.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Mehh,
Been awhile since I've shared something so I'll go with a familiar trip that never bores me.
Saturday was a man trip day.
So Sam, Jason, and I, with Bee-Gees C/D (A staple for this drive) went off to a junket to Seven Bridges road to check out the fly population. 542 was nice and we caught 9 just right, no real cars.
Caught the GiffordTown School House a bit early but a fellow happened to be there to let us in.
Behold, it was Barry C's father. Interesting fellow. Quite the talker.
Eventually Pete Stemmer got in but we had committed to go and we will have to see him again when we have more time. it was funny to see how many mutual folks we all know.
Then to the bridges which were like old friends up to the end. Clothes drenched in repellant, which only serve as a drink before their meal, did nothing to the demon flies. Two couples and an old timer were making good time to their cars and off to safer ground. Up the path to the water I wish I felt like stopping but chose not to. Sam was in a grey tank top and at one point from behind, leg to shorts, to top, to head and hair was a mass of black. Wild. Jason... did not approve, at all, to any of this. Oh well, we spent a scant bit of time and headed to the car. Some fellow and his lady were getting out of a car and he indicated his wishes to have a look at things. The lady did not seem the wild things loving type. So says me, "there's great sights up that path by all means it'll give you a memory you'll not soon forget". She already looked suspicious. perhaps that date may have ended poorly but hey, it got a smile out of Sam. He knows just how low I can be. It was some long time riding a little faster than the posted limits with open windows and A/C on to drive the intrusive Demons out that breeched the security of the car. Is it impossible to comprehend that flies dig Disco music?
Back to friendlier beaches and breezes at first bridge and for awhile then to Stewart's for touristy food, fries, & sodypop. Why not? We all were kind of peacefully sleepy and dreamy and the pleasant ride home made for a late afternoon rest on all parts. We left the women folk home on this one and given the maneaters it was best. All in, when we try to split our load with multiple chillun', sometimes you just gotta do a Man Run. That's about it. Oh, hi all.

g.
I love them, BeeGees!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Hi George and all. Good company on this post.

I have a favorite botanizing location in Manahawkin swamp, right about where it turns maritime. The flies and mosquitoes glean special delight in torturing me. It's like they are on their own special brand of meth. So I have an old but quite serviceable mosquito net hat. I put that on, along with a long-sleeve shirt, and ventured out there, smugly prideful. It took only 10 minutes, and my glasses had fogged up and I was sweating profusely. The sound of them rapping on the screen was it's own kind of torture as I stumbled through the area half blind, being pulled first one way and then the other by giant greenbriar thorns. I finally had to lift at least the front up to see the way ahead. Big mistake...took one on the upper lip...oh joy!

Overall, it did work, but may not be worth the effort since you risk dying of dehydration and frustration.

I have had the same problem with net hats.Glasses fogging and the net throws a glare on my glasses in the sunlight and makes it very hard to see anywhere other then straight ahead.I had to give up net hats.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Seven Bridges might be worse at night. If there is even a hint of light, you are surrounded by a mixed swarm of biting insects. Those nasty flies don't sleep!

I don't know which is more annoying in the dark, hearing the buzz around you or having them fly into your face.