Brookhaven town is dragging it's feet on land preservation

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
McMansion development is rampant in Brookhaven Town. For example what used to be a nice view off Rock Hill in Manorville, is now ruined by McMansions.
rockhilldev.jpg

Ex-Foley backers ready to pull support

A group of onetime supporters are set to attack Brookhaven Supervisor Brian Foley at a news conference today, chiding him for what they characterize as a weak environmental record in his first year in office.

Along with a few civic leaders, the group includes Richard Amper of the the Long Island Pine Barrens Society and Town Conservative Party Chairman Richard Johannesen, who also chairs the Long Island Environmental Voters Forum, a nonprofit group that supports pro-environment candidates for public office.

"We're withdrawing our endorsement and we want our tree back," Johannesen said, referring to the sapling the Voters Forum presented to Foley when it officially backed him in 2005. "We firmly believed that Brian Foley was going to take the next step forward in protecting the environment, and he has not taken that next step."

The group of former backers is poised to criticize Foley on several fronts, but all agree that the supervisor has bowed to developers in failing so far to create a Community Preservation Fund to permanently fund open space purchases in Brookhaven.

Such programs already exist in several East End towns, where proceeds from 2-percent real estate transfer fees have generated millions of dollars that the towns have used to buy thousands of acres of undeveloped land.

Amper said that Foley, during his campaign and in meetings with environmental groups, committed privately to creating a Preservation Fund by the end of 2006.

"Since we bought his line in the last election, we have the obligation to say it isn't so in the next one," Amper said. "The preservation fund isn't the only issue, but it's the best example of how we've been betrayed."

Foley, who is up for reelection in November, defended his environmental record, pointing to new codes requiring energy efficient homes and the preservation of 496 acres of open space and his opposition to Broadwater. "In our first year we've done exactly as promised," Foley said.

Foley hasn't committed publicly to creating a community preservation fund, but staffers say he's considering it. "He's very interested in exploring new funding sources, including a community preservation fund," said Deputy Supervisor Jack Schnirman.

But Johannesen said this was not enough. Once an ally of Foley, Johannesen has publicly criticized the supervisor on a variety of issues from staffing choices to management style since the start of the administration.

Foley's defenders say Johannesen has become more pointed in his criticism since assuming political party leadership.

"This is a political attack," Schnirman said. "If the Conservative Party boss wants his tree back, we're wondering if he wants it delivered to party headquarters."

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I don't know if it's fair to blame only the politicians and the developers. I sold my home in Medford, which I really liked, because a developer/builder cleared the land next to me and built two McMansions, so this topic is near and dear to me.

But the developers wouldn't build these things if they didn't believe someone would buy them. The whole thing is cooling off now in South Jersey - the McMansions next to my old home are still on the market about a year and a half after they were completed. Heh, I guess people aren't as quick to part with $1,000,000 as the builder thought.

But my point is, there has been a huge appetite for these tacky, oversized "castles" during the past few years. I just don't get it myself. Meanwhile, nice existing homes sit there waiting for buyers.

Just look at the news - a wave of foreclosures is sweeping through the market for people who were foolish enough to buy more home than they could afford. You can certainly blame the lenders, real estate agents and developers for luring people into this. But IMO, the final responsibility lies with the buyer; you have to keep a close eye on your wallet or you'll wake up one morning and it will be empty.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Hm, I may fall in that category. We (a childless couple) bought a "starter house" in Ewing that someone raised a family in back in the 50s. It's two bedrooms and one bathroom, and it's pretty small. I can't imagine someone raising a family there now, we have really become a different culture. The house was built in what I refer to as a "rich man's Levittown". A development for the more well-off. We have wood floors, a basement and attic, a garage, etc. By today's standards, it's an extremely modest, fairly low-end house. I think the economy in the US, or at least in the east, is such that instead of living modestly, we have more disposable income (believe me, I am not speaking for myself!) so a larger more luxurious house is more and more the norm.
It's good to see the real estate market settling down now, it was crazy there for a couple of years.

And yeah, we hate Ewing. :)

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
...so a larger more luxurious house is more and more the norm.

Our first house was also a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house, but after a daughter and a son, that had to change. Our present house is what we call a regular house (3 bedrooms). We recently started looking at 4 bedroom houses, as a parent may need to move in with us due to health reasons. I was in shock at the sizes, and prices! I guess my wife and I have been out of the loop for quite a while, they seemed like mansions (and no, we didn't buy one!).