Buck Run Bridge

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Have you been to the Buck Run Bridge lately above Martha? If you haven't I would suggest you do not cross it. The bridge has been looking bad for a long time but not having been there in a while and going there this morning it is alarming. That bridge is about to collapse. We decided to walk across it and in the middle of the bridge all but one of the boards are completely rotted. If a large vehicle and maybe even a small vehicle crosses it the bridge may not hold.

I took a video of it but for the second time my video card failed on me.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Teegate,

that bridge has been sketchy for the last four years. I don't know how it keeps standing?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I looked it over closely a few years back after Lost Town Hunter got a flat tire from one of the nails while crossing it and my kids and I went there to help him change it. But it seems much worse now and my feet were going through the wooded planks.

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
I was out by Buck Run Bridge today, looks like they are replacing it with a steel culvert pipe.
IMG_5194.JPG
IMG_5195.JPG
IMG_5241.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice! I was told by a member of this site that she was going to report it and obviously we have seen some minor repairs recently. The bridge will be missed but it really is a danger especially for larger vehicles such as fire trucks.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you have never been there I would suggest you go. Especially to see the bridge before it is gone. That location most likely was the site of the Bucks Tavern which according to Arthur Pierce in 'Iron in the Pines" was on the road from Martha to Chatsworth where it crossed Buck Run. There are only two locations that could be with this one being the closest and more direct route. It may have even been located where the pipe currently is as that seems to be a perfect spot.

The other much longer route and location would have been where the ruins of the Oswego Gun Club are located which was called "Mick's Place" as far back as 1802 I have been told.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We were were at the Buck Run Bridge this morning and the large pipe has been removed. The tracks in the sand is from the removal. I noticed the road in had many of the fallen logs removed that were along the edges, including the one Jessica and I sawed a while back.

IMG_1735a.jpg

The bridge is semi having issues again as one of the boards is sticking up. I think they may have removed the pipe too soon.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I doubt it. I suspect they were going to replace the bridge. However, someone patched it and I have to guess it was decided to not replace it. Just a guess. The pipe was never used.