Buddy Coyote

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was out hiking on Dover Road tonite behind Bamber. Buddy was casing the adjacent woods out as usual and he flushed out a coyote. It started howling at Buddy. It sounded just like Bill's recordings only it was more agitated and short:

...yip, yip, yip...yowwwwwl!

It was actually bark/howling at Buddy. The sound rang throughout the forest. I was able to call Buddy back, and you know how dogs are. He stood there grinning at me, like, whats the big deal?

The coyote was maybe 10 yards off the roads in thick brush. I thought it unwise to approach him. He followed us parallel through the woods for a while, keeping up that otherworldly howl. It was a tense few minutes. At one point I yelled at the woods to keep him from getting too close to me.

I think it must have been a juvenile in a den. If it was larger it probably would have been more tolerant and/or dangerous.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sounds interesting. You need to go back for a repeat performance.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Wow, interesting Bob. As I am sure you are aware coyote and domestic dog have not always had the best history together. Short of running into a pack (although I think a pack would stay very clear of any human) Buddy could run into trouble if approaching a den site. Coyotes won't be den-ing up till spring though.

I heard a couple tonight after I go home around 10:30.

Jeff

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Interesting....I've often wondered/worried about the chance of my 2 black labs coming across a coyote. Glad things went the way they did!

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
Last spring I seen one by Lebanon Lakes. It startled me a bit. After hearing this story I actually would have felt more secure if my dog was with me then. It most likely seen me way before I seen it.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I think it must have been a juvenile in a den. If it was larger it probably would have been more tolerant and/or dangerous.

If you ever see a coyote wheelin' and dealin' with an ACME package, run like hell, Bob. :)

Wish I could have witnessed your yote howling and yipping nearby. The closest I've heard (being the same as the recording you mention) was at least a hundred yards off. I've faced a few down in the dark, but those guys were curious, slinkering, and quiet.

Bill

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
tonight 1:30 am. Heard some CRAZY coyote howling from the woods behind my house. lots of yips, but also some multiple unison high pitched howls. Coolness!!

Jeff