Buffins Meadows

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Does anyone have any information regarding Buffins Meadow, Cranberry and Land Improvement Company?

Thanks,

Tom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is something.

July 29, 1890

A cranberry syndicate_ A syndicate of English capitalists is about to engage in the culture of cranberries on a scale never before attempted in this country. The agent of the syndicate in New York says it is proposed to have over 500 acres of cranberries under cultivation within the next two years. He has been negotiating with George B. Upton, of Boston, who owns 26,000 acres of land in Burlington and Ocean counties, New Jersey, on the line of the Pemberton and Seashore Railroad, for a tract including Deer Park and Buffin's Meadow. It is understood that the price to be paid is $10 an acre.

Along with manumuskin, I have stone searched on the Deer Park tract which is named after the stream there. It is along the Pemberton and Seashore railroad and would have been perfect for making bogs. But nothing ever happened there.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Tom .. I will keep looking. I may have more on this but I have so much to look through it may only happen when I stumble on it again.

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Interesting. Thank you Guy.

I have a prospectus for this company from the early 1860s. Looking at your map, I see Baffin Brook. It my have originally been called Baffins Meadow, as the handwriting may be interpreted as either an a or a u.

I'm intersted in anything you may dig up.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
8/9/1928

Ross Case and Douglass Crammer spent last Sunday morning in the piney woods of Buffin's Meadow, sampling and harvesting some of the blueberries which grow so profusely there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I suspect it is the J.J. White property and Deer Park that they wanted to buy.

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Attached is the prospectus from, i'm guessing, 1866. I don't think it is the White property, as the Whites were related to the Jones family, which is how they got the property. Fenwick was the nephew of Benjamin and a cousin of Richard and Samuel's. Benjamin or R&SH Jones sold Fenwick those lands.

The original prospectus was drawn by Richard Jones in an attempt to sell a portion of his land holdings.

Attachments

• Buffins Meadow Prospectus.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 303
Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Here is something.

July 29, 1890

A cranberry syndicate_ A syndicate of English capitalists is about to engage in the culture of cranberries on a scale never before attempted in this country. The agent of the syndicate in New York says it is proposed to have over 500 acres of cranberries under cultivation within the next two years. He has been negotiating with George B. Upton, of Boston, who owns 26,000 acres of land in Burlington and Ocean counties, New Jersey, on the line of the Pemberton and Seashore Railroad, for a tract including Deer Park and Buffin's Meadow. It is understood that the price to be paid is $10 an acre.

Along with manumuskin, I have stone searched on the Deer Park tract which is named after the stream there. It is along the Pemberton and Seashore railroad and would have been perfect for making bogs. But nothing ever happened there.

Is that where the name for the Upton station came from?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is an upbeat assessment of how well they think the business will flourish; however, as we all know the cranberry business had plenty of problems back then.

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Guy, this is also in my file - see the following. This is likely how Upton came into possession of the Buffin/Baffin location. A. S. Morris was the trustee for a mortgage on Richard's lands, which, after the end of the Civil War, went into bankruptcy.

Attachments

• George Upton.pdf
    821 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Friends of mine lived at Buffins Meadows in the 1970's. It is where Baffin Brook meets Pasadena Rd. Were there cranberry bogs built in that area in 1866?
It's possible a few were built, as it sounds like Richard had sold a few shares before he lost control of the property.

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Richard was obviously on to something based on the size of the bogs that are in that vicinity. I had no idea where it was located.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It is where Baffin Brook meets Pasadena Rd. Were there cranberry bogs built in that area in 1866?

Not quite sure where this is. On Vermeule's topo (~1870-1880) there is "Buffins Brook" with
a bog shown at the southeast end.

https://boydsmaps.com/#15/39.9376/-74.5116/vermeule

The Cook Topo (~1880-1890) shows it a little better

https://boydsmaps.com/#15/39.9376/-74.5116/cook

If you look at the newer topo's, the name changes to "Baffin Brook". But I don't see where it meets Pasadena Rd, unless I'm looking at the wrong brook or road. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica and I have spent quite a lot of time in those area's stone searching. It is a wild area that very few people have even been to. One stone we have looked for at least 5 times is from the property that Anthony JONES Morris sold to J. J. White.

An old map I have. It claims the Beaver Branch watershed is 8 miles. I have not found the stone mentioned...yet.

ajm.jpg

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Jessica and I have spent quite a lot of time in those area's stone searching. It is a wild area that very few people have even been to. One stone we have looked for at least 5 times is from the property that Anthony JONES Morris sold to J. J. White.

An old map I have. It claims the Beaver Branch watershed is 8 miles. I have not found the stone mentioned...yet.

View attachment 13999
A. J. Morris is A. S. Morris's son.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes. I suspect he may have sold J.J.White many other lots as well. I will have to look more.