Bug Barometer

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
"An even wetter winter is expected to follow a record-setting hot and wet summer in the Northeast and New England, which is expected to cause ticks to remain active longer than normal."

Just anecdotally, I stopped wearing my permethrin treated clothes about two weeks ago and haven't gotten any new bites, even though i have ventured into the underbrush almost daily. Haven't seen a tick in weeks.

Saw this article a few days ago

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/26/opinion/sunday/insects-bugs-naturalists-scientists.html

"Fifty-six years after Rachel Carson’s “Silent Spring” warned of bird die-offs from pesticides, a new biocrisis may be emerging. A study published last fall documented a 76 percent decline in the total seasonal biomass of flying insects netted at 63 locations in Germany over the last three decades. Losses in midsummer, when these insects are most numerous, exceeded 80 percent."

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
"Fifty-six years after Rachel Carson’s “Silent Spring” warned of bird die-offs from pesticides, a new biocrisis may be emerging. A study published last fall documented a 76 percent decline in the total seasonal biomass of flying insects netted at 63 locations in Germany over the last three decades. Losses in midsummer, when these insects are most numerous, exceeded 80 percent."

I remember as a kid always having bugs all over the windshield and front of the car. That is rare anymore.