Buildings.... LOTS of buildings!

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I read this article awhile ago and thought it was pretty cool but never followed up. Not sure if you can access the article without an account, sorry. But basically, Microsoft created a database of about 125 million structures in every US state using artificial intelligence to scan aerial imagery.

Finally looked into it, and it turns out that Microsoft has released their files as open data, which is very cool. :cool: Downloaded over a million buildings in the Pines yesterday and am planning to include them in the new 2020 map. Needs a bit of study to pick the best style that will be readable without too much clutter on the map. My 2017 map had about 13,000 buildings that I hand-traced from aerials and another 46,000 from openstreetmap, but a million is a huge increase and a bit of a data management challenge.

But I like the way it highlights the contrast between development and the forest. Here's an example (click and use the magnifier to view full-scale)

bldgs1.jpg

Gets a little cluttered in densely populated places...

bldgs2.jpg

old jersey girl

Explorer
Jul 26, 2017
south nj near Delaware bayshore
I read this article awhile ago and thought it was pretty cool but never followed up. Not sure if you can access the article without an account, sorry. But basically, Microsoft created a database of about 125 million structures in every US state using artificial intelligence to scan aerial imagery.

Finally looked into it, and it turns out that Microsoft has released their files as open data, which is very cool. :cool: Downloaded over a million buildings in the Pines yesterday and am planning to include them in the new 2020 map. Needs a bit of study to pick the best style that will be readable without too much clutter on the map. My 2017 map had about 13,000 buildings that I hand-traced from aerials and another 46,000 from openstreetmap, but a million is a huge increase and a bit of a data management challenge.

But I like the way it highlights the contrast between development and the forest. Here's an example (click and use the magnifier to view full-scale)

View attachment 13812

Gets a little cluttered in densely populated places...

View attachment 13813
Usefull as a guide where not to live.