Bullfrogs and snails

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
When I was growning up in Monmouth county I lived in a farming district. I used to catch HUGE bullfrogs all the time. And snails were all over. It occured to me that I rarely see snails and large bullfrogs here in the pines. Has anyone else noticed that?

Jeff

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
When I was growning up in Monmouth county I lived in a farming district. I used to catch HUGE bullfrogs all the time. And snails were all over. It occured to me that I rarely see snails and large bullfrogs here in the pines. Has anyone else noticed that?

Jeff

We use to have large bull frogs around our lake when I was young, but no more...

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Jeff, Bullfrogs are only found in disturbed areas like the farmland in Monmouth where you grew up. My dad has a bunch of 'em in his pond which was dug out for a blueberry operation years back. However, there are none to be found in a nearby spung which supports a pinelands ecosystem.

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
Jeff, Bullfrogs are only found in disturbed areas like the farmland in Monmouth where you grew up. My dad has a bunch of 'em in his pond which was dug out for a blueberry operation years back. However, if there are none to be found in a nearby spung which supports a pinelands ecosystem.

Our lake was an old blueberry operation, you can see this in the aerials from the soils conservation district photos in the old books.