Burlington County Explorer

Oct 25, 2006
I decided to go on another outing on Monday, and i would like to share the following photos to the places that i visited. I first took the following pics of some interesting signs and building at the Tabernacle Cemetery.
IMG_0118_Medium_.JPG

A pic of the building next to the sign.
IMG_0119_Medium_.JPG

I then proceeded into the cemetery looking for the grave of Indian Ann, i did not find the grave, she is reported to be the last Lenni Lenape that lived in the area. There are two more signs in my album, which you can view, but then i decided to move on to Indian Mills, taking this pic of the Thompson home with included sign. I believe Dr.Still resided here for some time.
IMG_0122_Medium_.JPG

Here is another interesting sign in Indian Mills.
IMG_0123_Medium_.JPG

It was then time to move on to Atsion. I wanted a pic of the mansion before the restoration begins.
IMG_0124_Medium_.JPG

Then heading east on Quaker Bridge Road, i took pics of the following structures.
IMG_0125_Medium_.JPG

IMG_0126_Medium_.JPG

IMG_0127_Medium_.JPG

IMG_0128_Medium_.JPG

I then proceeded to Quaker Bridge, taking the following two pics. Quaker Bridge of course.
IMG_0129_Medium_.JPG

The Batsto River Looking Downstream From Quaker Bridge.
IMG_0130_Medium_.JPG

I then proceeded to the east side of Quaker Bridge, first taking this pic of the Batona Trail sign.
IMG_0131_Medium_.JPG

I then took this pic of a cellar hole which i believe to be the site of the old hotel.
IMG_0132_Medium_.JPG

I then proceeded to the Batsto Washington Turnpike as i wanted to first visit the old town of Washington, before going to the old site of Mount. I then took this pic of a ruin which i believe to be the ruin of the stable site not the tavern site.
IMG_0133_Medium_.JPG

Proceeding further southeast on Iron Pipe Road, i arrived and took a pic of what i also believe to be the cellar hole of where the Tavern was located.
IMG_0134_Medium_.JPG

I then turned around on a north west heading to visit the old hotel site at Mount, taking a pic of the cellar hole there.
IMG_0135_Medium_.JPG

I then wanted to visit a place that i have not been to since the late 70's, my usual way to this place was by Hampton Gate Road, but i decided to try Mount Sandy Ridge Road, as i entered the road i encountered what i call a green swamp monster elongated water filled trench, luckily there was a go around that was high and dry, along the way there were a number of water filled trenches, but lucikly all the go arounds were in great shape, i finally arrived at Jemina Mt, taking this pic looking uphill.
IMG_0136_Medium_.JPG

Another pic looking down hill.
IMG_0137_Medium_.JPG

It was then time to return home, while on the way and on Hampton Gate Road, or Tuckerton Road, or Old Stage Road, i took this pic of a railroad tie of the Jersey Central Railroad on Hampton Gate Road.
IMG_0138_Medium_.JPG

I arrived home an hour later realizing that i just had another exciting, great day in the pines, thank you for letting me share this outing with you all.

Jim

Jim:

Nice trip report and images! You'll find your last photo is of the end of a piece of rail, not a tie. Cross-ties are the timbers laid perpendicular to the rails.

I am amazed and discouraged at the photo of the Atsion Church Cemetery marker you took. I can't believe the person who lettered that sign does NOT know how to spell CEMETERY!! There is only one correct way to spell that word and it does NOT contain the letter "a"!! What a revoltin' development this is!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Oct 25, 2006
Jim:

Nice trip report and images! You'll find your last photo is of the end of a piece of rail, not a tie. Cross-ties are the timbers laid perpendicular to the rails.

I am amazed and discouraged at the photo of the Atsion Church Cemetery marker you took. I can't believe the person who lettered that sign does NOT know how to spell CEMETERY!! There is only one correct way to spell that word and it does NOT contain the letter "a"!! What a revoltin' development this is!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Thanks Jerseyman, it was truly another amazing day in the pines.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
There seems to be some dispute about the wall ruin at Washington. I have seen it referred to as a tavern, a stable (Mulliner's), and a "pit silo and barn". That last is attributable to, I believe, Barbara Solem-Stull. The "Mulliner's stable" thing I always had trouble with, as I thought it unlikely someone had built a stable from stone, and the only Mulliner I have read about as being connected with Washington was the criminal Joe Mulliner.

I also think the tavern was actually at the next crossroads east, Jim. There's a cellar depression on the SW corner, and across from it another that may have been the Sooy residence. We found a number of old bricks there on the last trip.

Oct 25, 2006
There seems to be some dispute about the wall ruin at Washington. I have seen it referred to as a tavern, a stable (Mulliner's), and a "pit silo and barn". That last is attributable to, I believe, Barbara Solem-Stull. The "Mulliner's stable" thing I always had trouble with, as I thought it unlikely someone had built a stable from stone, and the only Mulliner I have read about as being connected with Washington was the criminal Joe Mulliner.

I also think the tavern was actually at the next crossroads east, Jim. There's a cellar depression on the SW corner, and across from it another that may have been the Sooy residence. We found a number of old bricks there on the last trip.

Mark

That is where this pic was taken, three tenths of a mile southeast of the stable ruin, at the next intersection on Iron Pipe Road on the way to Maxwell.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
Jim:

Best regards,
Jerseyman[/