Call it a War in the Woods..

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
August 20, 2006

Call it the War in the Woods. Or perhaps the Brawl in the Barrens.

A cable TV show last weekend that began as a lovefest, with Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy thanking pine-barrens champion Richard Amper for helping reform the process for buying open space, soured badly by the end.

"This is an extremist and that's the problem," an irate Levy said of Amper. "We need balance, not extremism."

Of course, Levy's attack came only after Amper, the executive director of the Long Island Pines Barrens Society, intimated that the county executive was in the thrall of developers who gave him $35,000 in campaign donations in the past three months. He also chastised Levy for "riding the fence ... at a time when he needs to triple the amount of land saved for open space."

Off the air, things only got worse. Amper, later recounting the moment, said Levy poked his finger at his face and said, "You're dead. Our relationship is over and don't bother to ever call my office again." Levy maintains he made no mention of Amper's mortality, but acknowledged, "I told him I don't think he'll be able to have the same kind of relationship ... when he talks this kind of nonsense."

Such blowtorch talk is nothing new for either Levy, arguably Long Island's most popular politician, or Amper, who has been the chief mouthpiece for the region's biggest motherhood issue, which is land preservation. Neither lacks self-esteem, each has utter confidence he can spin the public his way, and it is rare for either to back down. "I don't want to get between those two gorillas," said one environmental leader who did not wish to be identified.

At issue is the latest environmental campaign, dubbed "Last Stand," to preserve half of the remaining 70,000 acres of Suffolk's open space and farmland. Backers say that what's left of Long Island will be built out by 2015, which means the decision to buy up land must be made in the next three to four years. Builders, meanwhile, fear that further public purchases will only drive up the land costs, making new homes even less affordable.

Levy says Amper frustrates many officials who are trying to do the right thing. "He's always throwing bombs and nothing is ever enough," he said, adding Amper "goes so over the top, he loses his credibility."

The county executive says he revived the county's land program, which had been on "life support" at the end of the administration of his predecessor Robert Gaffney after a scandal in which his top real estate aide was working for a developer who sold land to the county at allegedly inflated prices.

In the past 2 1/2 years, Levy said the county has created a new department to handle land purchases; put an environmentalist in charge, and better than doubled the acreage Gaffney bought -- more than 2,500 acres, three times the size of Central Park. He also put $50-million in county money toward a Legacy Fund for further purchases. Other environmentalists have recognized his accomplishments and the New York League of Conservation Voters honored him at a fundraiser in Baiting Hollow Saturday. "We're terrific fans of Mr. Levy," said Marcia Bystryn, the group's executive director.

Levy has done good, Amper said, but he insisted the comparison with the last administration is skewed. "It's like a relief agency coming in and saying they could do better than FEMA after Hurricane Katrina," he said.

Amper says Levy needs to fill a half dozen vacancies in the real estate department, dramatically ramp up to meet the 35,000 acre goal, and make a commitment to extend the quarter cent sales tax to the year 2030, 10 years beyond the expiration date so that the county can borrow against it.

Levy, meanwhile, said he is open to a possible sale tax extension, though he noted the problem is not money, but finding enough willing sellers. He also chided Amper for criticizing his donations from developers when the pine barrens group also takes money from builders such as Jan Burman and Reckson Associates.

Others, such as Kevin McDonald of the Nature Conservancy, say Amper may be provocative, but remains valuable to the cause and Levy, while "fiscally conservative," is also strong on the environment. He expects the rift to soon pass over. "If I had a dime for every official that Dick Amper has angered, I'd have enough money to buy all the open space myself," he said.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Go after 'em Dick. Don't let up.

Long Island Pine Barrens Society Executive Director

Always passionately animated, Amper spent much of this year continuing his battle against Broadwater Energy's proposed offshore liquefied natural gas facility in Long Island Sound. Besides galvanizing local and state politicians' opposition to the project (and holding dissidents' feet to the fire), he still worked tirelessly on other fronts, namely, open space and farmland protection. If you think the man who spearheaded the protection of 100,000 acres of Pine Barrens would be content resting on his laurels, think again. Amper vows that 36,000 acres of open space and farmland will be preserved—before the projected buildout of LI in 2015.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Sorry I can't put Broadwater in the same boat as McMansions and Strip Malls.
Maybe if we allowed Shoreham to operate we wouldn't have to look at a Broadwater or Offshore wind mill.
The land preservation purchases are great but they still don't address the root of the problem which is enacting laws so the town zoning boards can no longer allow projects that negatively impact the environment.
In the past 5 years there has been an explosion of development in Suffolk County, especially in the pines. The farms along 25a between Calverton and Miller Place are almost all gone, McMansions are sprouting like weeds in Miller Place and Wading River. Then you have the changes along Rt.58 in Riverhead, where practically all the open space is GONE, to Tanger or that big strip mall where they put Best Buy, Home Depot...just to name a few.
too bad that couldn't have been purchased, but the cost would have been astronomical. Instead, a county moratorium on certain types of development, especially those that involve clear cutting, should have been passed.
That would mean no more McMansions, no more big box stores. Development would only be allowed on 20% of a parcel.
I know Dick Amper means well, but he's really missing the boat on stopping the real root of the problem. Steve Levy is one of best executives Suffolk ever had (especially with environmental issues), and yet Dick wants to bite the hand that feeds him?
The county can only do so much without more regulation. There's alot of undeveloped land in private hands, and laws need to be passed so that land stays more or less...undeveloped.