can you camp anywhere in the pines?

matt

Apr 6, 2009
I heard from a friend that you can just go into the pines and camp in the woods is this true?

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Not legally, but the way I always thought of it is who the hell's going to find me. Tip: Id make sure you're on public land. Id much rather face a ranger than a dude with his shotgun. It helps to head out at dusk. I like leaving maps at home, getting as lost as possible, then setting up shop. You also might want to fill some garbage bags w trash that you see as a good excuse if you are caught. Just tell them what you're there for.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
camping

You have just read the legal use of the Pines. I have camped in many places and rarely seeing a sole. These Ranger/Cops, won't go too far into the woods as they are afraid of getting lost, getting their shoes dirty or the Jersey Devil might suprise them. Good Luck and have a great time, the experience is wonderful.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
No urinating in the woods??? Not that I would ever do that. :rolleyes:

NJ is the absolute worst State in the Union when it comes to regulations in our Parks. Then again, we also have the most douchebags per capita here, don't we?

I'm sorry, were we talking about camping?

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
camping

Pinelandpaddler says it all. It is a shame. I would be willing to pay a small fee, like they do with the National Parks, just to keep the wrong folks out and those who want to enjoy this beautiful forest, in. Comrad Corzine, of the Peoples Republic of NJ, would want to tax us for sleeping in his woods. Isn't that how Robin Hood got started with his mission to enjoy nature?

Never let yesterday fill up today.
anonymous

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
7:2-12.3(b) Leaving marked hiking trail $74
Whoa!! Does this mean what I think it means??

Yep,
The teams of Bob & Guy and Bill & Al need to get out of the state fast, lest they be writing checks to N.J. that might could actually straighten out our state deficit.

g.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
7:2-2.11(k)Throwing stones or objects $74 (better not skip stones anymore)

7:2-5.2(b)Launch boat/vessel in undesignated area $74 (what are the designated areas?)

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Crazy

Yeah, I've read the rules on the back of my camping permits before and some are pretty crazy. I'm not really too happy about the one about not having a dog in a campsite. I usually camp pretty far from anything anyway though and that seems to help. If I was a ranger, I doubt I would roll up on a bunch of guys camping in the middle of nowhere anyway. And in all my nights of exploring the Pine Barrens, I have only ever seen one patrol. And lets just say the rookies get the crappiest shifts. Still, a fine would really suck, let alone if your drinking beer, with a dog, outside of a campsite, with a fire, with a whole slew of people. But then again, most of the campsites in the Pines aren't really that bad, they can just be crowded sometimes. I think it's kind of funny the state only charges $2 per person. That almost seems like a joke to me.
My 2 cents.

Kevin

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
You guys missed a few...

7:2-15.1(b) Ownin' a still or makin' likker $2
7:2-16.4(b) Spittin' on the gubner's piksher $4 (and clean it)
7:2-16.7(b) Shootin' near a church on Sundy $4
7:2-17.1(a) Defacin' a gun club $3 (and a ass kikin')
7:2-17.3(b) Takin' a deer outa seasun $1 (long as you git caught)

"Yes we all are a bunch of criminals. And proud of it "

You see Matt, what the gentlemen are telling you is when Father Beck designated us "Pineys", it was an upgrade from "Swamp Angel', "Privateer", "Tory", or any of a dozen different names that had been loosed on us by jealous people on the outside! They know that the Sun rises and sets on the Pines and couldn't stand that someone "uncouth" can exist and succeed in that environment! (That and, oh yeah, that lawlessness thing! Bugs the heck out of them, what with living near our world and all. Who knows when we might descend upon them unawares!)

"From witches, and ghoulies, and pineys in the night, Good Lord protect us!"

Actually, when I was about 10, (way back in the '60s), I was present in the county seat in Mount Holly, when upon hearing I was from Greenbank, in the "Pines", a civil servant mentioned that "Oh yes, that's where they speak Elizabethan!"

Welcome to culture shock kid! Only times you saw a county politician in Washington Township was before an election. Then again, that may have been too often! (As the afore mentioned ordinances may have stated!) Good luck camping and keep your fire low and smoke free! Enjoy the Pines and leave her cleaner than when you came in.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Is 74 a magic number or is it some sort of state religious symbol?

$73 isn't punishment enough and $75 is just plain mean.

Actually, I heard the going rate for a hooker in Trenton is $74, so kind of makes sense. (OHHHHHH, I'm going to regret typing that!! Somebody delete this post before big brother reads it)