Canal

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I have mentioned this canal before. It was on my list of places to revisit and this weekend was the time. I was wondering if the stream was dredged when the water gaging station was built on the McDonald Branch in Lebanon and after walking the canal it appears that is what occurred. They must have wanted the flow to be better so they widened the steam for quite a distance.

It appears the state is still checking the stream gage along the canal because there is a fairly well worn trail leading to it. Look closely at the far right of the photo and you will see a concrete slab bridge they used at one time. With the water low it can be easily viewed now. It appears to have cracked in half.

IMG_5039a.jpg

You can see it under the water.

IMG_5040a.jpg

The canal, or dredging, goes from the gaging station on the McDonalds Branch at Butterworth Road here.

To here along the McDonalds branch.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, the road along the McDonalds was the original Dry Pond Road, and it was bypassed by the CCC in the 1930's. Compare it to the last link above.

drypond.jpg

Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I lived my teenage years in Presidential Lakes. I used to go to that gaging station on the roadside when I needed some peace in my mind.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is one at both locations. I have had email conversations with a man who years ago managed the McDonalds Branch station and painted it white. He said he does not think it has been painted since. I agree :)

Reactions: Boyd