cannibal pickerel

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Please note that this post is in reference to a inncident involving cannabalism within the native fish population of the pine barrens. It is graphic and gross and maybe offensive, but entirely true and a part of nature. If this bothers you don't read any further. You have been warned.

A friend of mine and I went fishing this morning. Did okay. However, I had a very interesting catch. I caught this fairly large one seen below. I estimate him at about 18" to 19" though the picture is not so great (note, his tail is bent making him appear shorter) This fish was released unharmed. Anyway, as I was bringing him in I noticed a fish tail hanging out of his mouth next to my bait. Now I know that pickerel are cannibalistic and I have found other pickerel in their stomachs, I have read they will attempt to eat things nearly a 3rd their length, but I never saw anything quite like this before. He regurgated the fish and it was an approx 13" to 14" pickerel he had consumed. It was so large its' tail was still sticking out of his mouth, the head was gone (digested) but the tail was still sticking out!!!!!!!!! And On top of all of that he still had the nerve to go after my bait. Wow, I have always believed that pickerel were one of the most violent, aggressive fish in NA. Now I am certain of it.

Jeff
normal_fish_004.jpg