Canoe Signs

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Has anyone noticed the canoe signs on 542 near the Pleasant Mills Church and elsewhere in that area? This morning we noticed the county putting signs up there and I believe these were some of those placed there. I am thinking that if you canoe or kayak down the Nescochague to 542 you are not allowed to portage across 542 and enter Nesco Lake because it is private. Does anyone else see it that way?

This is at the bridge on 542 over the Nescochague Creek.

IMG_0290a.jpg

IMG_0291a.jpg

This is across the street. It appears they want you to drive up Pleasant Mills Road to make the connection to continue on. ????????

IMG_0292a.jpg

There are others up in Nesco itself. Not sure why.

Video of them putting signs in this morning. Make sure you are in 1080P to get the best results. For some reason if you go to youtube it is not always displaying properly.

Guy

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Yes I did. If I didn't see the post on Facebook and do some research from there I'd still think it had something to do with canoes.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I was down that way yesterday, Sweetwater River Deck, and don't believe they have anything to do with canoeing. They probably mark a tour trail, but without fore knowledge or some documentation on the signs they are useless.
The byway has been a project that has been in the works since 2005, and ripping right along we are getting signs now, Federal money to burn.
From
http://www.nj.gov/pinelands/landuse/recent/byway/
The New Jersey Department of Transportation provided significant support for this effort by developing signage that will help visitors identify the byway and navigate their way through it.

I wonder how many people will use it.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I have questions.

How many of these useless signs are to be installed? How much does it cost? Who is responsible for making this happen?
By reading what I posted earlier it seems to be the state DOT is footing most of the bill, but I'm sure their using Federal funds to off set it. With the signs not matching the the originals proto types they are to confusing. To me they look more like piney art and will likely be decorating local garages around here within a year:eek:

Reactions: h2ochild

rc911

Explorer
Apr 23, 2015
Cream Ridge, NJ
I think they were put up by the state to promote tourism. There are similar signs throughout my town with graphics in the same lame style stating: Upper Freehold Historic Farmland Byway. I have also seen them along the Delaware River north of Trenton and up Route 29 promoting the scenic river byway, again with graphics in the same style.