canoe trip

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
roger that mike.. i'm down for the above described activities. I have a Ranger w/ a Rack, so I can transport a thing or two..

(Whether or not the original poster reappears)
I'm pretty sure there is a badge for Boy Scout's for canoeing 50 miles.

Yep, Boy Scouts of America offers the "50 Miler" Award. You can earn that by hiking fifty miles, canoing fifty miles, or a mix of the two, plus doing a service project of some sort along the way (usually, picking up trash). Sadly, my only attempt as a Scout knocked me out at 46 miles with severe hypothermia. :(

First post: Hey, don't overlook Sooy's in Jenkins Neck for your canoes when visiting the Wading River. Steve is an old classmate of mine from Green Bank Elementary and his family's business is an honest one deserving our business. Remember too that rangers will hide out on Godfrey's Bridge and other places to search canoes for alcohol. Alcohol is forbidden in the Wharton State Forest for canoe trips.
tplife, raised in Wading River

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
I think he means Pine Barrens Canoe Rentals, only because the name SOOY is signed in a concrete slab there. They are a great family business and I have been going there for years.
Tom

1968-ish. Durr & Schaefer were the scoutmasters. I remember Durr used to hate going to scout camp, so he would take the whole troop up to Lake George instead so we could waterski!

Wow, you were an original then (or pretty close, only a year or two off). 48 has been around over forty years now and still going strong. We have about 30 active boys at the moment, down from a high of well over a hundred late in my Scouting career (1997 or 98 - we were one of the biggest troops in the state, if not the biggest). We're actually only on our third Scoutmaster at the moment, who came in four or five years ago. Gary Lake (he was in the troop himself in the late 60s or early 70s) took over from Mr. Durr in the 80s, and he was my Scoutmaster.

We're still not much of fans of Scout camp, although I can't say we've been waterskiing in the last fifteen years =)

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
Wow, you were an original then (or pretty close, only a year or two off). 48 has been around over forty years now and still going strong. We have about 30 active boys at the moment, down from a high of well over a hundred late in my Scouting career (1997 or 98 - we were one of the biggest troops in the state, if not the biggest). We're actually only on our third Scoutmaster at the moment, who came in four or five years ago. Gary Lake (he was in the troop himself in the late 60s or early 70s) took over from Mr. Durr in the 80s, and he was my Scoutmaster.

We're still not much of fans of Scout camp, although I can't say we've been waterskiing in the last fifteen years =)

Boy, I had no idea it had gotten that large, or that Durr stuck around that long! I do recall Gary Lake from my time there. Makes me feel prehistoric! Talk about thread drift, though...