Cape May County Explorations

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Cypress in Wharton was report to have been planted by one of the Richards. Can't remember where I read that though.

The knees.

IMG_3151a.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have been told the one on Sluice Creek is native. I guess it is up for debate.
Now I never heard that.I assumed it was planted or you'd think there would be more of them.It is in a wild location but how would it get there with no cypress within many miles? I don't know if the nuts are eaten by birds? I doubt those nuts could survive a salt water journey up from Delmarva.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
FWIW.... Found this on Wikipedia.

Habitat and distribution

"The native range extends from southeastern New Jersey south to Florida and west to Central Texas and southeastern Oklahoma, and also inland up the Mississippi River. Ancient bald cypress forests, with some trees more than 1,700 years old, once dominated swamps in the Southeast. The original range had been thought to only reach as far north as Delaware, but researchers have now found a natural forest on the Cape May Peninsula in southern New Jersey. The species can also be found growing outside its natural native range, in New York and Pennsylvania."

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
but researchers have now found a natural forest on the Cape May Peninsula in southern New Jersey.
Most likely someone like Bob or a private citizen who told where it was and doesn't get any credit.

Last edited: