Carranza

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Tabernacle Historical Society has a webpage on Emilo Carranza that you may want to view. If you scroll down to the last article on the page you can read a WPA newspaper report on the improvements taking place on Carranza Road in 1937.

I believe there is one mistake in the article when it mentions the improvements extend to the Jersey Central RR at "High Crossing." High Crossing is on the Tuckerton road unless at the time they called the complete area High Crossing. I doubt that but maybe so.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I had read the background on Emilio Carranza himself many times, but I did not realize until recently the significant place of the Carranza family in Mexican history - namely Venustiano Carranza, Emilio's great uncle. Venustiano was Governor of Coahuila and later the 44th President of Mexico during the Mexican Revolution. He played a major role in the revolution but left a violent and controversial legacy.

I became aware of this after listening to an episode of New Jersey Is The World, which is worth checking out if you like your history in podcast form.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Actually, I just realized, near the bottom of the article you linked, there is a picture of Carranza's tomb (not the memorial, the tomb in Mexico City) - it looks like there is an error on it.

Full resolution photo here
Thelmadatter, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

It says MURIO EN MOUNT HALLY N.Y. EL 12 DE JULIO DE 1928 ("died in Mount Hally, N.Y. on July 12, 1928")

That's unfortunate...