Catawba and Etna

Piney1125

Scout
May 1, 2004
Cherry Hill, NJ
I was reading Henry C. Becks book, "Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey", and I came across "Catawba and Etna". Etna Furnace is even on my map today. Is there anything left of either of them?

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Catawba was what started it all for me when I was 7 years old going exploring on Sundays with my old man. This place is not much more than a single grave off a raised mound of earth on the side of the road. And a road (West Avenue) named after the family that lived there.

Etna Furnace site is nothing more than a mound of ruble set back in the woods near Head Of The River. I think that the pictures in Barry's gallery tell the tale better than any of us could.

B

BarryC

Yes, the Etna Furnace site is a mound in the woods next to the Tuckahoe River. What I'd like to do eventually is to look for cellar holes or foundations in the area.
What there is to know about Catawba is in the book, Absegami Yesteryear. There's a big mystery, because the father and all the sons in the family all died within a short time, one after the other. I think the site New Jersey History's Mysteries discusses it. The historical marker there insinuates that there was a church there, and that the West graves are part of a larger cemetery, which can no longer be seen.
Barry
stizkidz said:
Catawba was what started it all for me when I was 7 years old going exploring on Sundays with my old man. This place is not much more than a single grave off a raised mound of earth on the side of the road. And a road (West Avenue) named after the family that lived there.

Etna Furnace site is nothing more than a mound of ruble set back in the woods near Head Of The River. I think that the pictures in Barry's gallery tell the tale better than any of us could.

B

bach2yoga

I have an 1842 map of the area of Etna furnace that I have spent some time with, but haven't gotten lucky yet. I should have done that this winter, the ticks and mosquitoes there are horrendous.
I've always questioned the fact that Beck says there was no Baptist church building, only the later Head of River Methodist church building; yet my map distinctly shows a Baptist church. Maybe the map was wrong, and it was just the cemetery, as that is where the Baptist part of the cemetery is. Don't know...
The furnace is simply anomolies in the topography now: brick piles covered with soil and plants growing out of them. The raceways are still visible. The lime from the furnace and mortar has sweetened the soil and as a result there are some wonderful plants growing there.
Kendawg and my family were just there again Sunday morning. Always find a lot of turtles there. This week we found a red bellied turtle, about 3 or 4 years old, I'd guess, in that vicinity.
Renee

Piney1125

Scout
May 1, 2004
Cherry Hill, NJ
I was riding my bicycle today around the area, starting from Estell Manor Park. I passed by the road which, according to ADC the Map People, leads to Etna Furnace. It didn't look like there was very much of a way to get down there. Everything seemed overgrown. How did you get down there?

B

bach2yoga

There are several roads that lead there, only one is driveable by 4WD, a tight squeeze...the others are hike ins.
Renee

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Their is a cellar hole in an old clearing that appears to be quite old across 49(south side of road though west of church) and on the north (same) side of tuckahoe river about half a mile from 49.big chigger road in a couple months.follow trail on north side of river on west side of 49 half mile andwill run you right thru the old yard.
Al