Caution

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
:siren: I was out on a snow covered frozen bog the other day and noticed "holes" in the vicinity of a beaver lodge. by holes I mean there were approx. 2 foot square knock outs in the ice which had frozen over again to a very thin layer of ice. After noticing that, I noticed more which were very well hidden by recent snow fall.

Beavers don't hibernate, so I am assuming the beavers are making these holes in the ice to exit the water after leaving their lodge. It could be very dangerous with snow covering these holes up before the ice has regained it's thickness. Be careful and aware of this if you are walking on the ice near a beaver lodge in these snowy conditions. Look for subtle depressions in the snow.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
After just posting my last thread, I am not 100% that the holes were caused by beaver. The lodge had a pretty good sized cache so they would probably not need to leave the pond. It is possible that the holes were caused by trappers. Breaking ice and placing traps under it. I only researched quickly so I am not certain of the technique.

If this is the case, it is probably not real common to come across but it is a good idea to be aware of the potential danger.

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Worse than falling through the ice would be having your foot or leg trip the conibear set beneath the surface.
You probably won't be getting it off by yourself.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Worse than falling through the ice would be having your foot or leg trip the conibear set beneath the surface.

Might make a good episode for the cable TV show 'I Shouldn't Be Alive', or as I call it 'I'm So Stupid I Shouldn't Be Alive' :rolleyes:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

would a connibear made for a beaver even be big enough to get a human foot into?
I agree Jeff,I can't see a beaver leaving their lodge in this crap,probably a trap or who knows,otter have to eat and they don't live under water and I don't believe they hibernate either.matter of fact I know they don't because I've seen them in winter many times swimming along so they would have to have a way to get in and out of the water because they live mostly on fish and other aquatic life.Just a thought.
Al

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Otter are active in winter, probably the best time to find them as they need open water. I have some old 8mm of them sliding down a snowy embankment into the water, almost like a toboggan run. Ice would definitely give them a headache.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
would a connibear made for a beaver even be big enough to get a human foot into?
I agree Jeff,I can't see a beaver leaving their lodge in this crap,probably a trap or who knows,otter have to eat and they don't live under water and I don't believe they hibernate either.matter of fact I know they don't because I've seen them in winter many times swimming along so they would have to have a way to get in and out of the water because they live mostly on fish and other aquatic life.Just a thought.
Al

Do to the close proximity to the beaver lodge, I would have to lean toward beaver or hunters for the holes as opposed to otter. If it is beaver or otter they would have to break the ice often before it got too thick. I couldn't see either being strong enough to break fully frozen ice right now.

Jeff

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Do to the close proximity to the beaver lodge, I would have to lean toward beaver or hunters for the holes as opposed to otter. If it is beaver or otter they would have to break the ice often before it got too thick. I couldn't see either being strong enough to break fully frozen ice right now.

Jeff

your no doubt right about them having to break it frequently.
Is it even trapping season for beaver?I was under the impression they put the traps on their runs where they exit the water habitually,I don't know if baiting for beaver would work considerng they eat bark and wood.If so the beaver is probably not using it's runs right now anyway.It's living off it's food stash and holing up.I would think this would be a bad time to trap beaver.Just my own thoughts.I'm not a beaver trapper so I may be wrong.
Al

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
your no doubt right about them having to break it frequently.
Is it even trapping season for beaver?I was under the impression they put the traps on their runs where they exit the water habitually,I don't know if baiting for beaver would work considerng they eat bark and wood.If so the beaver is probably not using it's runs right now anyway.It's living off it's food stash and holing up.I would think this would be a bad time to trap beaver.Just my own thoughts.I'm not a beaver trapper so I may be wrong.
Al

Yeah, it does seem odd, but as Scott pointed out it is beaver season. I don't understand the nature of this trapping method either, it does seem like a tough time of year to trap them.

Jeff

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Here's a good depiction of the sets Jeff. The 330 is the most common.
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/beaver/beavermgmt.html

And a Youtube how to:

I have never tried for beaver. I am still blundering around with my snares for other critters.
Frankly, I would like to see a few more beaver down here to keep the bogs flooded for our waterfowl hunting. Wescoat could use a train load.

There a couple in Webbs Bog, yours for the taking. Many have tried, all have failed :rolleyes:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
BTW, the Youtube how to does not apply in NJ as far as the conibear being set above the water.
In NJ the conibear trap must be submerged and the trappers ID tag must be visible above the water on the cable extension.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was cogitatin on a book I read many moons ago that had beaver trapping heavily written into the plot.In the 1800's anyway they would take the castor gland from beavers and use those to scent sticks and bits of mud next to their traps to draw the beaver to them mimicking their own scent posts they make out of mud,pee and poop and rub their glands on.I forgt if this illicits mating behavior or territorial fighting but other beavers (male I believe) can't resist it so maybe if this trapper is using scent it will pull the beaver out of the lodge no matter how inclement the weather???
Al
PS
she has me all figured out.she just found my heels to my hip waders an informed me my Sheila days are over and she's going to man me up tonite! heck I'll throw away my make up kit for that!
Al