Caves of Burlington County

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.984092074895905&lng=-74.73404772552487&z=16&type=nj2007&gpx=

This is posted in reference to a conversation that Pinelandpaddler and I had some time ago.I had read a Speleological Survey of NJ at one time and remembered an entry on a cave in Burlington County.This is very odd since South Jersey geology is all wrong for caves to exist here.hard to make a cave out of sand. Well I was surfing through the net and found the cave survey online as a pdf some time ago.I downloaded and promptly forgot about it.I have now blundered onto it again amongst my saved stuff and remembered Gabe asking about this.Unfortunately the entry says the caves have been filled in.The link above gives the exact location to the entrance.I cannot copy and paste but till write a short rendition of the description here and after that will attempt to upload the file here.
Two caves were discovered during excavation of a cellar.They appeared to be at the contact between the Navesink and Mount laurel formations.The rock over the larger entrance was a fossil zone cemented by Limonite.Larger entrance measured 2 by 3 ft.The passage headed NW for 4.5 ft where it intersected a NE?SW passage. at the NW end of this there was a small room 8 by 6 by 3 ft about 18 ft from the entrance.The smaller entrance was 14 ft to the SW.At the base of the entrance were two passages.One headed NW the other SW.The one at the NW intersected another passage paralle to the entrance passage.These caves have been filled in and their total extent is unknown.
Okay the file will not send.It is 8 megs in size and the limit is four megs.Anyone who wants the survey send me an Private message with email and I'll send it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
From the picture it appears to be in a field? Funny that page of the PDF does not allow selecting while all the other pages do.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have to warn you on the location they gave. I have found from experience when using GPS locations on old documents they can be quite far off from the actual location.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I know.I have made gpx files of cave surveys from WV and then when looking for the entrances they have been way off especially on the old Davies survey from the 50's.The newer surveys from the 70's and later are pretty good.I have just made gpx files from this NJ survey and the few caves I actually know where their at are spot on,not saying they all are though.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Is there a reason that the search option only goes back so far? I tried a couple older topics and found the same problem.

S-M

I think it may be from when the software for the forums were changed. I recall that some pictures went missing.