Cedar Bridge Fire Tower

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hi,

Most of the information included is from a historian on fire towers that I have corresponded with in the past. The picture was taken by a friend of mine while we were at the tower in 1977.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/CedarBridge1977.jpg

This photo shows the 110 foot International Stacey Cedar Bridge fire tower in 1977. It was located 1 mile east of route 539 on a dirt road. From 539 you could access this road at the 16 and a half mile marker. This was not the original Cedar Bridge fire tower, and it also was not the original location. In 1924 the first tower was built south of route 72 in the small village of Cedar Bridge. The original tower was a 60 foot Aermotor.

Sometime probably during the 30's the Cedar Bridge station was moved to the dirt road mentioned above, and the observation platform show in the photo was installed. The platform was used to spot enemy planes during the war, with access to the platform by a "trap door". Even though it was no longer in Cedar Bridge, the tower retained the name.

From the 30's until 1987 the tower had no electricity and phone service, and unfortunately it was subject to vandalism as the photo shows. It was then decided to move it to it's present location on route 539. A Sikorsky Sky Crane helicopter was brought in to carry it the mile to it's new location in one piece, but a full tank of gas in the chopper thwarted the first attempt because of the weight. After using up more of the fuel, the tower was hoisted up and moved to it's present location. During the move the bottom 10 feet of the tower was damaged and had to be removed, and it currently is 100 feet tall.

The observation deck was removed, and a flashing light was installed on it's unique wooden gable roof. A security fence was also installed to prevent vandalism. The cement footings of the tower show in the picture, can still be found on the dirt road off of 539 mentioned above.

If you have any other info or comments on this, please let us know.

Guy

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
I was speaking with another Forest Fire Service employee today. He said the third tower site was across Rt. 72 from the Coyle Field air strip. He said the foundations for the tower are still there. If I am in the area soon, I will check it out.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That was the area where I was told they were reported to be, but the man I corresponded with said he searched and was never able to find any evidence of it. If you find the foundations, across from Coyle Field, try to get a mile marker or landmark on 72 so I can inform him of their location.

Guy