Cedar Creek - Double Trouble - Clear water question

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
Just a quick question....why is the water at Cedar Creek so clear in comparison to other Pinelands tannin stained water? After a heavy rain I have seen pinelands streams be fairly transparent but my understanding is Cedar Creek is exceptionally clear. Looking for any scientific and/or best guesses. Thanks in advance.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It is not crystal clear by any means, there is a tint to it. Just a guess, might be due to being spring fed. as is the Toms, a relatively clear, cold running stream. So much so it can sustain a trout population.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Cedar or "black" water is a biological process that is related to temperature, pH, and iron availability. I would look to these variables first. The warmer the water temperature the darker the water due to increased biological productivity. Pine Barrens streams run clear in winter. A higher pH will decreases biological productivity. Less iron means less biological activity.

Spring water hasn't had enough time in pass to allow biological darkening.

S-M

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Mark, I admit the PH scale can be confusing the way it was set up, but didn't you mean a "lower" PH decreases biological productivity? And would it be more correct to say less iron means more biological activity?

I can attest to Cedar Creek being very much spring fed. Plus, it is much shorter than the larger rivers, not giving the time needed to really allow tannins to saturate the water. I do feel that it increases in color below Double Trouble.

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
Excellent. Thanks for the replies. Spring fed, shorter waterway, cooler temps, and PH/Iron factors....I have yet to visit but several folks on this site have commented on how clear the water is...always wondered why...I appreciate the feedback.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Mark, I admit the PH scale can be confusing the way it was set up, but didn't you mean a "lower" PH decreases biological productivity?

These are specialized primitive (extremophile) critters, like the ones found in acid waters near coal strippin's; bacteria that turn streams into orange sludge. They work best at low pH, an environment akin to ancient pre-carbonate rich Earth.

And would it be more correct to say less iron means more biological activity?

Reduced iron is their fuel, which they oxidize. Less iron means less food, less energy means less biological activity. I think I have this right...

S-M

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
One more thing. The actual stream corridor for Cedar Creek is very narrow, not many (if any) flood plains where water can sit in vegetation for quite awhile (picking up more tannins) before being flushed out to the river.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
PBA, just to take a shot at the iron question, iron is one of the most abundant elements in the Earth's crust (consider Earth's iron core). Although abundant, iron is usually locked up in minerals (compounds) or in ores (mixtures of compounds that form rocks). When groundwater flows through the ground in an aquifer, it will often pick up iron and carry it to emerge in a spring. When iron is reduced (the charge of the iron ion is changed), it will form a compound that is insoluble with water, making it visible to the naked eye as a precipitate. Bacteria accelerate the deposition process by basically aggregating (not using the right word, I know) the precipitate because they use the energy from the reaction to convert carbon dioxide to carbohydrates much the same way that plants do.

Now for a shot in the dark, I believe that the pine barrens iron deposition is heavier in general than other areas because when organic matter breaks down, the pH decreases (it becomes more acidic) and this increases the availability of iron or other metals. I may be totally off with this one so don't take it as gospel. Also, another guess regarding the Cedar Creek question may be that there aren't as many springs that are feeding the iron that is picked up as water moves through the aquifer (or maybe the geology of the aquifer is such that the water does not move over a large area of iron-rich sediment?). That being said, I think that there is also an element of flushing because the Cedar Creek seems to move fast, plus it is a very gravelly bottom right? Maybe the lack of mud or smaller particles for the iron to 'cling' to adds to the flushing effect.

Hopefully at least some of this is correct :)

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Another factor that comes into play is the color of the sediments lining the creek bottom, rather than that of the water. I've seen cases where long exposure to the processes that result in what we refer to as "cedar water" staining those sediments a darker color than the water itself. Even in some of the conditions discussed above which can sometimes result in clearer water than one might expect in the pines, the sediments can give the illusion of water that is more tea-colored than it actually is. In any case, I'll be thinking about it today, as I paddle the Cedar Creek. :)