Cedar Waxwings

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Over the last couple years we use to see lots of yellow rumped warblers in my backyard in the spring. This past year I saw very few. I hardly ever see waxwings in my travels in Jersey though.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'm curious to hear if many people are seeing Cedar Waxwings this season. I've done 2 Christmas Bird Counts (Oceanville & Marmora) and sightings were at an all time low for us. The woods and fields around the Stockton College observatory historically have 200+ birds. There were none to be found this year! The wild food crop - Eastern Red Cedar berries - are abundant. Another sepcies that eats these berries - Yellow rumped warbler - was also missing.
Since many of you spend time in the field, I was wonder what you've seen - or haven't seen!

The most reliable public locations for me for Cedar Waxwings and Yellow-rumped are IBSP, DTSP, Colliers Mills, Whitesbog, Brig & Sandy Hook. They are around this year, but seem to become more abundant as winter progresses; probably do to the availability of food. Hoping for another visit by the Bohemians :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A couple of spots at IBSP; walk along Rescue Rd(thats the left for official vehicles, off the southern kayak launch access) & the trail to the blind across from the access to the first bathing beach, but anywhere with a good stand of cedars has the potential as they move around quite a bit. The Bohemians were in these locations a couple of years ago mixed in with the Cedar WW's. Twas the year we had hundreds of them along Lake Champlain near where we had our cabin.

:siren: But this is the year for Snowy Owls, at least 9 have been reported in the state, recently one down in Bivalve, another at Stony Harbor Point. I had one at IBSP before Christmas.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I'm curious to hear if many people are seeing Cedar Waxwings this season. I've done 2 Christmas Bird Counts (Oceanville & Marmora) and sightings were at an all time low for us. The woods and fields around the Stockton College observatory historically have 200+ birds. There were none to be found this year! The wild food crop - Eastern Red Cedar berries - are abundant. Another sepcies that eats these berries - Yellow rumped warbler - was also missing.
Since many of you spend time in the field, I was wonder what you've seen - or haven't seen!

We haven't seen any in our yard. We have a flowering tree (crab apple) that usually attracts them in decent numbers. The tree is covered in the berries they eat, but we haven't seen any Cedar Waxwings lately. None in the woods near home either.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A short walk at IBSP yesterday. Two flocks of Cedar Waxwings, hundreds of Yellow-rumped and the Snowy is where I left it. The usuals in the inlet.

Friends tell me the Bohemians are in upstate NY again, perhaps the cold will bring some further south.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
A short walk at IBSP yesterday. Two flocks of Cedar Waxwings, hundreds of Yellow-rumped and the Snowy is where I left it. The usuals in the inlet.

Friends tell me the Bohemians are in upstate NY again, perhaps the cold will bring some further south.

Where is IBSP?And what are Bohemians? Anyone have a photo?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Strange plce to find waxwings, I always thought they could be found in the woods like bluejays and carinals.

Not really, they devour cedar berries, IBSP has a lot of cedars and very little in the way of disturbances. You would be amazed at the variety of wildlife life over there.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Gray Fox

Not meaning to get off The Bohemians, a new breed of Punk Rockers from Canada, we saw a Gray Fox meandering along the road at IBSP back in the 70's---it was beautiful! So yes, it is surprising what you will find there. I've recently seen flocks of hundreds of Robins down here in Florida. I have had Cedar Waxwings here in my back-yard during the winter as I have lots of holly bushes. The Robins love the fruit of the Camphor tree, a non-native and very invasive tree that is serving some good purpose, but unfortunately the Robins are serving another--distributing seeds all over my yard, which in the spring raises up a crop of Camphor seedlings!!! The root of the camphor tree smells exactly like sassafrass. They both belong to the Lauraceous or Laurel family of trees.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I'm surprised that Piker and I didn't see any at Winslow when we went the other week. There are some of the largest Holly trees I've ever seen back there.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Me 2

Haven't seen any this year, but if I see any here in FL, I'll tell 'em to head back north to keep y'all entertained!:dance:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I know very little about birds other than I like them around me. Today, in my yard I saw a little bird about the size of a warbler with a shocking orange cap on his head. The closest I could come to in the Kaufman guide is a Golden Crowned Kinglet (Male). He was light grey with a few black stripes. As usual, he would'nt stand still for identification. He was very flighty, moving up and down the branches like an acrobat.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Not meaning to get off The Bohemians, a new breed of Punk Rockers from Canada, we saw a Gray Fox meandering along the road at IBSP back in the 70's---it was beautiful!

I'm not surprised, there was a nice populationof Red Foxes there, until the mange did them in a couple years back. They are starting to recover though. Too many folks were feeding them stuff they shouldn't have. :argh:

360931851_90552823b4_o.jpg

3202985110_85c4b023ca_b.jpg

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Hey Bob,
It's easy to get hooked on Birding , back in the early 70's Furball1 And I saw a Red Tailed Hawk, and we've been hooked ever since, I have a nice sized Life list and most of them I saw right here in South Jersey, and a few in Florida, Which is a Great state to get some very different looking birds. Keep at it and Don't get frustrated when they won't stay still LOL! That's part of the fun