Centralia

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
During my PA trip/house hunt over New Year's, I decided to return to Centralia to get some decent photos. For those who don't know, Centralia is the town that has been burning from underneath since the 60's.

centralianew.jpg

centralianew7.jpg

centralianew8.jpg

centralianew17.jpg

Full page can be found here.

Oct 25, 2006
nice pics stu,havent been by there in years,anyone still living there?while in the area(summer)there is a great oldtime amusement park in ely,knobels,great wooden coasters,free admission,pay as you go.also a tour of the yuengling brewery in pottsville.both places are on rt.61

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
There is a late 80's, early 90's movie staring Chevy Chase, Demi Moore and Dan Ackrward (spelling), John Candy. It takes place in an abandoned coal mining town off the Atlantic City expressway (obviously not based on a remote facts) In that town a mine fire is burning underground. It was a horror/comedy and not very good.. very weird movie. This thread reminded me of that movie.

Jeff

Oct 25, 2006
wow,i never saw that movie,coal under the sands,stoke up the pot bellied stove,amazing they would come out with something like that.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
There is a late 80's, early 90's movie staring Chevy Chase, Demi Moore and Dan Ackrward (spelling), John Candy.

That would be Nothing But Trouble: http://imdb.com/title/tt0102558/

Wow, I haven't seen that movie for a long time but I thought they were on the NJ Turnpike instead of the AC Expressway. Whatever, it certainly does a lot to reinforce the stereotypes which some people have of New Jersey. But IMO, this isn't necessarily a bad thing if it helps keep the population from growing too fast and discourages people from trashing the woods :)

Oct 25, 2006
:) the nj turnpike(especially the northern stretch)has left an unfair impression,i try to steer people away from it,telling them to drive a little further to the gsp,and get a different perspective.

omega

Explorer
That was a Bizzare movie, I can remember Ackroyd's character rolling over in bed and firing a few off... and the "things" that lived out in the "yard" were just freaky.

I was in Centralia back in the 80's when I worked in TV news, that too is kinda bizzare.

Oct 25, 2006
:D hey,on the full page pics and description,the kids love ac/dc,they have highway to hell written on the road.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
never heard of that place but looks very interesting,knobles grove is awsome haven't been in years and yuengling tour, that would be cool:guinness:

Oct 25, 2006
:D hi hewey,jimbo,if you haven't already done so,just go to the yuengling website to find out the days and hours of operation,the best part is,free out the tap cold ones after the tour.:D