Charles Kell, Atsion Cemetery

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I have been aware of this grave for along time andI tripped over this article today, just waiting to be found.

https://books.google.com/books?id=9...v=onepage&q=charles kell, 1918 atsion&f=false

100-0004_IMG.JPG
100-0004_IMG.JPG
100-0004_IMG.JPG

100-0001_IMG.JPG

Fort Niagara, NY
Kell.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ed,

I suspect you will find he is related to David Kell who was the manager of Hampton Park when Beck was visiting and when Rider Wilkinson owned it. David's photo is the one in Beck's hard cover book holding the weight that I mentioned before on the site. This also most likely was a relative.

Charles Kell.JPG

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
What is the location of that head stone, it looks new ? They probably were related, how many Kells in this area, especially at the turn of the century.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My records don't say but I will explain how it has to be at the same place you took yours. Atsion.

I took the photo on September 2, 2007 at 4:39 PM and at 5:49 PM Bob and I were at Wescoat Bogs taking photos. So unless it is Pleasant Mills it has to be Atsion. I obviously stopped on my way to meet Bob to take the photo.

The folder the photo is in does not have my tracks or I could be exact. I will look around some more.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looking at the homes along the lake from the road, there was a small lot next to the far left house that was purchased by Theodore Kell on July 23, 1907. Sometime before or after that the Adams house was purchased byMaud C. Kell and she sold the house to Norman Adams on 9/15/1951. That is the canoe rental property. The empty lot to the right of that property was sold by George Kell to John R. Wells and Nora I. Wells on 5/24/1941. So it appears the Kells started leaving in the 40s and 50s.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Yes Guy, the Kell's owned three houses on Atsion Rd across from the lake. They were lots from the Town of Raleigh. The houses were built by Bull Miller and Samuel Doughty, carpenters and relatives of the Kells. This includes PPA Canoe rental house. Sam Doughty also built Indian Ann's house on Forked Neck Road. The family still has Indian Ann's mortgage paper.

Kell Houses.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The house number in 1940 for the Theodore Kell home was 138 Atsion Road. His education only went to 6Th. grade. He was 68 years old. His wife Anna only went to 3rd grade and she was 69 years old in 1940. They were both born in NJ. As for Maude Kell her address was 140 Atsion Road and he lived alone. His education was to 7th grade and was born in PA.

To add more to this .... at 137 Atsion Road we had Samuel Giberson. with his wife and two daughters.

At 141 Atsion Road next to Maude we had the Small family. I believe his name was Leason. Not sure if that is correct. Anyway, his wife was Dorothy and a son Arnold. Leason was a Farm Manager.

Now this one is very interesting. If you have read Beck's books you may remember the name William Augustine. He was one of Beck's photographers or at least Beck used some of his photos. He and his wife Dorothy lived at 142 Atsion Road. he was born in Camden and she was from New Castle Delaware. His occupation is listed as Photographer Newspaper.

http://articles.philly.com/1993-05-03/news/25965208_1_news-photographer-cognac-elizabeth-williams

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The house number in 1940 for the Theodore Kell home was 138 Atsion Road. His education only went to 6Th. grade. He was 68 years old. His wife Anna only went to 3rd grade and she was 69 years old in 1940. They were both born in NJ. As for Maude Kell her address was 140 Atsion Road and he lived alone. His education was to 7th grade and was born in PA.

To add more to this .... at 137 Atsion Road we had Samuel Giberson. with his wife and two daughters.

At 141 Atsion Road next to Maude we had the Small family. I believe his name was Leason. Not sure if that is correct. Anyway, his wife was Dorothy and a son Arnold. Leason was a Farm Manager.

Now this one is very interesting. If you have read Beck's books you may remember the name William Augustine. He was one of Beck's photographers or at least Beck used some of his photos. He and his wife Dorothy lived at 142 Atsion Road. he was born in Camden and she was from New Castle Delaware. His occupation is listed as Photographer Newspaper.

http://articles.philly.com/1993-05-03/news/25965208_1_news-photographer-cognac-elizabeth-williams
Leason Small was the Wharton Estate caretaker and the man from whom Y-Buc Bill would obtain his annual Wharton hunting permits. (Prior to NJ purchase of the estate)
I will ask him tomorrow night if he has any old copies of those permits.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills

I don't know how the address numbers go, but Samuel Giberson, in 1940, lived in the Gloucester Co. Gun Club house across from the church. He sold it to the Gun Club in 1941 and moved down to Dutchtown. They fed census called QBR Atsion Road in the village.
Leason Small is correct, he married Andrew Etheridge's daughter and became caretaker of Atsion when Andrew Etheridge passed.
Theodore Kell was Bull Miller's brother-in-law.
Interesting, but I don't know William Augustine.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Interesting, but I don't know William Augustine.

His photos are in various books on the Pine Barrens. For example, in "Iron in the Pines" he took the photos of Joseph Ball's New Pond, the Pleasant Mills Paper factory and of the Batsto Mansion.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
His photos are in various books on the Pine Barrens. For example, in "Iron in the Pines" he took the photos of Joseph Ball's New Pond, the Pleasant Mills Paper factory and of the Batsto Mansion.

I see his name in the books. Now I have to find out where on Atsion Rd he lived.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It may have been one of the cabins along the lake. They were there in 1940.

Reactions: Don Catts

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Some may be interested in this.

Raymond Cavalier lived at 135 Atsion Road with his housekeeper Susie Cramer. He was a farm laborer He was 63 and she was 69.

At 136 Atsion Road was Maymie ??? Ethridge. She was the bookkeeper for an estate. I would assume maybe Wharton. She was 54 years old.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Some may be interested in this.

Raymond Cavalier lived at 135 Atsion Road with his housekeeper Susie Cramer. He was a farm laborer He was 63 and she was 69.

At 136 Atsion Road was Maymie ??? Ethridge. She was the bookkeeper for an estate. I would assume maybe Wharton. She was 54 years old.

In 1940, Raymond Cavalier lived in the Cavalier house (cat house) behind Samuel Giberson (gun Club).
136 Atsion Road was Maymie, that's the Etheridge house on QBR so they are calling QBR in this area Atsion Rd. She kept the books for Wharton called "The Atsion Farms" also ran the Atsion Store. never married
FWIW - Leason Small's wife was Bertha Etheridge, Maymie's sister. But in 1940 he was a widower. Dorothy was his daughter. He had another daughter also, that died young.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
It may have been one of the cabins along the lake. They were there in 1940.

Guy, you may be right. There was a village of log cabins at the lake on Atsion road called "Log cabin village", Atsion, NJ, there were at least 26 cabins and maybe more. In the 50's they were getting $30 a month for rent. One of rednekf350's neighbors lived there in the 50's. Leason collected the rent and Maymie kept the books.

Last edited:

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Leason Small was the Wharton Estate caretaker and the man from whom Y-Buc Bill would obtain his annual Wharton hunting permits. (Prior to NJ purchase of the estate)
I will ask him tomorrow night if he has any old copies of those permits.

Not only the individual, but all the deer clubs on Wharton ground needed a permit, also. CrossKey, Lower Forge, etc... Don't know the cost.

FWIW Small was caretaker for the Atsion property. I think they had a guy named Lipincott for the Batsto property. Atsion property was 40,000 Ac and Batsto was 56,000 Ac at the time.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
An 1891 article in the Trenton Evening Times describes a harrowing encounter that brothers John and William Kell had with four wild hogs while they were hunting near Hampton Gate. Perhaps Charles was the son of one of these men or maybe he was their nephew.

Reactions: Teegate