charley town anyone ? am new here.

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
sam,e side as the new extencion or mule road ,going south take the dirt road on the right after the industral road . go down the tyrail and you come right to it

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Alfonso, I was at the Jamboree today and the Ocean County Historical Society had some great maps from the 1800's. One had Charleytown on it. It was by Mule Road, you were correct. There was a "jug tavern" there wherein the forge guys and muleskinners would stop in for a jug of jersey lightening to travel with. That is really neat. I would like to get more info and poke around for it...............bob

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
i was there on saterday . saw the biggest snake of my life there. i also found the train loading plate form . someone also maped the place out and put up info guides up

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
i'm still looking for jug tavern , there are clearings on left and right down the trail to crossley . i'm trying to find that tavern . i've found alot of lost homes before but this tavern seams to have gone with out a trace. some times i can find the old door handles or the locks or even coins left behind to try to map the area out but my search has left me lost, no metal anything to be found.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
alfonso said:
i was there on saterday . saw the biggest snake of my life there. i also found the train loading plate form . someone also maped the place out and put up info guides up

You mean Crossley righ? what was the snake, a northern pine? How long was it?

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
yea ,,,,,,,,,,,,, i think it was a corn snake or pine 2 in wide and about 3 feet long . biggest i'v ever seen . 3 feet away from me scared mew bad . i'm a real baby when it comes to snakes

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
black racers???????

in all my years hiking the barrens,i have yet to see a snake.....shows you how elusive they are.....in new england,where i grew up,and hiked ....the largest and scariest snake was a long,thick bodied snake called up there,a black racer.....often grew to be ten feet long.........in early spring,the males were quiet agresssive,and if interrupted during mating,would rear up and attack........i have been chased several hundred feet......it felt like more then....by several.....are there any down this way......i note that the field guide mentions large black rat snakes......let me know if anyone has ever spotted one down here.....karl

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
I SHOULD MENTION ALSO THAT THE BLACK RACER OF WHICH I SPEAK WAS QUITE HARMLESS,BEING NON POISONOUS,BUT THAT DOESNT HELP MUCH WHEN YOU ARE BIG CHASED BY ONE,WITH HIS HEAD RAISED TWO FEET OFF THE GROUND............AND TEN FEET LONG.....GOLLY GEE

B

bach2yoga

Lots of black racers around here, too. Saw a couple this year while exploring.
Renee

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I took this straight out of petersons field guide to reptiles and amphibians.The average size for a black racer is 36 to 60 inches and the record is 73 inches.a far cry from 10 ft:)The black rat snake averages 42 to 72 inches and the record is 101 inches thats 8ft 5 inches and happens to be the longest snake in nj but still a far cry from 10 ft.I"ve never been chased by a snake though I"ve cornered a few rattlers that put up quite a fight but I clearly started it,and finished it to by the way but as the fastest snake on record in USA is a whipsnake that clocks at an amazing speed of 7mph and the black racer does about 5 mph and the black mamba of africa can do about 8mph so if indeed you are chased you should be able to outrun any snake though more then likely the snake was seeking to escape and headed for cover(snakes know their territory intimately)in the direction he knew he could find it fastest which happened to be toward you.mambas,cobras and such have been known to persue people short distances to make them back off but in this country the most you"ll probably get is a stationary defense or accidental fleeing in the wrong direction.
Al