Chatsworth Bald Eagles

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They are in that area and also frequent the Parker Preserve lakes nearby. Glad to see they saw that in of all places NJ. My relatives wife from Oregon thought NJ was all cement.

Guy

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Awesome. I saw 3 one day last week over Big Timber Creek in the Runnemede/Deptford/Glendora area.
One of 3 might be the one Guy stated seeing a few months back

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
That would be terrific. Let us not take them for granted.
Nope, let's not. I had a project last year for a class that was related to using DDT and I found this pic. DDT was largely responsible for the near-extinction of the bald eagle, as you all probably know, because it caused their eggs to become brittle and break before they could develop into full sized young. DDT was seen as a panacea for many of the ills that plagued us and we used it on virtually everything to control pestiferous bugs without any thought to environmental fate or any sort of toxicology to humans or animals. We are so naive sometimes. With regard to DDT, things are JUST a bit different now than they were in the 50s. :)
I dug up this pic, it is from an ad. Yes, really!
ddt.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
With regard to DDT, things are JUST a bit different now than they were in the 50s. :)
ddt.jpg

We can thank Rachel Carson and her book 'Silent Spring' for bringing awareness to the effects of DDT, and also the people that helped these birds recover. Who knows what the situation of our Eagles, Ospreys and Pergrines, among others, might be if that book and those people didn't have the success they did.

The picture at the link was taken 3 years ago at the Brigantine division of Forsythe NWR. There are 2 more eagles out of frame, for a total of 5 in one viewing, a NJ record for me :) If anyone wants to see eagles, lots of eagles, up close and personal, head up to the Mongaup Reservoir near Port Jervis NY during January.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3023/3043603066_b4fdaf80cd_o.jpg

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
In addition to all the other wildlife down in Salem county, we also have Bald Eagles, a few months ago there where two of them in a field right down the street from my house.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Or go to Conowingo Dam just upriver from Port Deposit, Maryland. On November 2nd we had 50+ below the dam viewed from the fisherman's park. There is now a trail on the East side of the river following the Octoraro(?)Creek. This should offer some good viewing areas too although I have not had a chance to hike it.

Nice to hear they put in a trail. In the past it has been long distance viewing down there, with the occasional fly-by :) Up in Mongaup there are now 2 blinds for public use, as well as the road alongside the stream between Mongaup Reservoir and Rio Reservoir. Photos at the link from the road last year.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3056/3042949733_e5ac354357_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/3043787580_6aeda5f73c_o.jpg

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Hey chrisr,
Are you from the Park?

Sorry Grendel, I'm not from the Park. I should be though, I've worked in the area since 83. I work in West Deptford, so at lunchtime, I can get down to the river in National Park and wander around for a bit. It's nice to get away from the cubicle environment and outside.