Chatsworth Club......

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Have you guys ever been to the remains of the Chatsworth country club? It mentions a few remains in Barbara Solem's book. It is located near the lake. I didn't get a chance to get around to exploring out there. I went out looking for the remains of the hampton gate tavern, not sure if there is anything left. I explored the "stone hills" area right off caranza rd. where it is said to have been. There is also supposed to be a small cemetary hidden in the woods someplace near the lebanon glassworks. I recommend buying her book, it has a lot of good information on the history of a lot of places in the pines.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
when i lived on applejack road, just around the corner from the chatworth lake one of the local residents told me where "the prince/princess residents" was

from tabernacle before you get to the lake on the left side back in the woods i found remnites of a brick sturcture, lots of bricks around

this was the residents of the "Itialian prince" or the "lebanonese princess" depending upon who you hear it from

the story i was told was by the owner of "Lebanon lakes" (an older lebanonese man)

in the earlt 60's he stated the the lebanon lakes property was the only property left from and english land grant to a lebanonese family that was still owned by a decendent of that family (him and his brother)

and that was why the forest was named "lebanon state forest" so i was told

so what is the truth ?

so was the country club close to the prince/princess residence, i don't know myself, i think the time frame for both are the same

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
onehand said:
and that was why the forest was named "lebanon state forest" so i was told. so what is the truth ?

Lebanon Forest was named after Lebanon Boloney. It was a favorite sandwich of mine when I lived in Presidential Lakes in the 60's. It was good with white bread and mustard.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I have always been curious about that house/club on Chatsworth lake. I've been back there a bit, but I really need to get out there and look around. Stu, do you remember exactly where the house was?

I never heard of a cemetry near Lebanon glass works. Does this ring a bell for anyone else?

Jeff

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
woodjin said:
I have always been curious about that house/club on Chatsworth lake. I've been back there a bit, but I really need to get out there and look around. Stu, do you remember exactly where the house was?

I never heard of a cemetry near Lebanon glass works. Does this ring a bell for anyone else?

Jeff
i think i can still remember, but it is on "franklin parker preserve" property

at the time i was there only a few scattered bricks remained

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
BobM said:
Lebanon Forest was named after Lebanon Boloney. It was a favorite sandwich of mine when I lived in Presidential Lakes in the 60's. It was good with white bread and mustard.

Oh man! I'd kill for some good Lebanon balogna ! Closest they come to it out here in the northern plains is something they call "summer sausage" - but Lebanon bologna IT AIN'T! Switzer's. Fetzer's. Those are some decent brands I recall in York and Lancaster Counties, Pennsylvania. And Bronfmann's - or something close to that... Delicious stuff.

Lebanon bologna, a sharp cheddar, and lemonade! That was lunch while puttin' up hay in SE Lancaster County durin' my yout'

Dave

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
as a kid i loved Lebanon balogna, but i guess now as an old dude, my taste buds are mortified. it just don't taste the same

but dem wild cranburries sure do taste good !!

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
I have some notes somewhere that mention which side of the lake that the Club House was located but if I had to guess I want to say that it was on the side closest to "downtown" chatsworth. I have a post card that was postmarked in 1903 that shows the Club House. I will try to get it scanned and posted but I am not too good with the whole technology thing. The place was enormous with quite a few chimneys and lots of dormers on the front.

I spoke with Garfield DeMarco a few years ago and he said that his family purchased their first chatsworth land from the Prince or his heirs just prior to WWII. That Italy and Germany were allied as tensions grew apparently prompted the sale. My understanding is that the Prince was actually growing cranberries on his land prior to its sale and that the DeMarco family (and another family) were running the venture for him. After its sale it was known as the Chatsworth Cranberry Association and I have a few of the old picker tickets (checks) that were used to pay the bog workers there.

Let me get a few of my facts straight and I will post again.

Rich

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
cranberry sauce-nostalgia

TeeGate said:
Yea right!!! :) Pass the sugar please! :)

Guy
Yeah! Cranberries. Sugar!

My Grandmother and her several sisters (my Great-aunts) vied for the best cranberry sauce "reciept". Aunt Edna used just cranberries and a little sugar; Aunt Frieda's was sweetened just a bit with molasses and sometimes with a little maple syrup (the real stuff). Aunt Grayce added apples or pears. Aunt Florence made a pitifully over-sweetened abomination that should never have been served. And my Nana (Sue Washburn) would add some chopped-up orange (not the peels), or occassionally grapefruit. and none but Aunt Florence ever stepped over the line to overpower the underlying spirit of the stuff - the cranberries! Thanksgiving and Christmas are comin'. Man; talk about nostalgia!

The canned stuff just don't cut it!

Dave

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
The prince and a wealthy Philadelphian built a lavish country club for their friends and associates, who visited from New York, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. by way of the Chatsworth's convenient railroad station. At one time, Chatsworth Club had 700 elite members, which included J.P. Morgan, U.S. Vice President Levin Morton, Jay Gould, Charles Abercrombie, and members of the the Drexel, Biddle, Armour, Stokes, and Astor families. During the depression, the resort's popularity diminished, and the prince moved to Belgium.

That is the place, the cellar hole and a few bricks and pieces of the chimney are located about 100 ft off 532 on the north side of the lake. I found old pictures, the place looked pretty big. On the other side of the road stood Union Forge, long since disappeared, not even slag or anything is left.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
wolfspider05 said:
The prince and a wealthy Philadelphian built a lavish country club for their friends and associates, who visited from New York, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. by way of the Chatsworth's convenient railroad station. At one time, Chatsworth Club had 700 elite members, which included J.P. Morgan, U.S. Vice President Levin Morton, Jay Gould, Charles Abercrombie, and members of the the Drexel, Biddle, Armour, Stokes, and Astor families. During the depression, the resort's popularity diminished, and the prince moved to Belgium.

From the same community website it says the following about the White Horse Inn:

"Built in 1860, the White Horse Inn was once a stopping place for society people on their way to the Chatsworth Country Club."

So they traveled for several hours in their old model T Fords, then stopped at the Inn for rest and respite, then traveled 5 minutes more to the club? Something sounds over dramatized here. If they were coming from Philly, they passed the Club, stopped at the Inn, then came back? Even if they did come by the railroad, they stopped at the Inn to have a drink? Maybe. I suppose it could have built a reputation that way.

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
lebanon bologna i believe is a fermented cured meat. a truely delicious tangy spicy meat. i would name a country after it never mind a forest. fry it up lightly with some eggs and you will be eating like a king . forget about prince.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
toasted bread, summer sausage, and cheese thrown into the microwave for a few seconds. killer sandwich. Although it still can't touch lebanon baloney
Tom

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Chatsworth Club 2.jpg

The above scan is of a 1903 postcard showing the Chatsworth Club. The inscription reads "March 8, Dear Evelyn, What do you think of Chatsworth I have marked our rooms. With Love ?" Just above the 8 is a small "X" that shows the room that he/she stayed in.