Chatsworth Lake and the Bog of Dead Turtles

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see people parking right along the road and also you can park on the dirt road right at the curve and walk across.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Thanks for the info, I always thought it was private property. I guess it's best to ask before I take my kayak out there.

It was private property and still is, but now it is owned by the NJCF and they recently allowed fishing without written permission as long as it is catch and release. Guy's recommendations for parking are correct.

Jeff

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Thanks,
As for the turtles, ask and ye shall receive. BE ADVISED THAT SOME OF THESE PHOTOS SHOW DEAD TURTLES IN VARIOUS STAGES OF DECAY.

for perspective, my foot is about 13" long in a sneaker.

Jeff

Some of those shells are beautiful, Jeff. You might have already identified it (red belly????) but what is the one with the white patch on its back? How old do you think it would have been?

Glo

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Some of those shells are beautiful, Jeff. You might have already identified it (red belly????) but what is the one with the white patch on its back? How old do you think it would have been?

Glo

the white patch is where the outer plates have fallen off and you are seeing the "skeleton" underneath. It is a red belly. As for the age...I do not know.

Jeff

Oct 25, 2006
I was going to pose a question about Snapping Turtles about to what extent is the range of the Turtle in N.J., i googled the question and the following PDF file answered my question, the file is very informative and a good read.

My question was thought up by me for when i was a kid my father and his friend use to take me to the Shady Rest Inn on the Rancocas Creek, and the Snappers were in multitude, it says in the article that they can live in Brackish Waters and Fresh Water, the File also gives a wealth of info on other Turtles in N.J on the non and endangered species lists, very informative for people with no knowledge of the Herp World.

Here is the File.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/pdf/turtles.pdf

Jim

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
the following PDF file answered my question, the file is very informative and a good read.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/pdf/turtles.pdf

Jim

Thanks, Jim, for the link. I was curious about the redbellies. It says they live in sloughs, but doesn't mention bogs. Too bad--I'm looking for bog turtles (i.e. turtles that live in bogs. Al told me about the bog turtle and a few others.) But I'll file the link as a useful resource.

Glo

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Red bellies definitely live in bogs. They seem more concentrated in the rivers where they are literally on top of each other, but they are still probably the most common turtle to see in the bogs except for maybe the painted turtle.

Jeff

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Red bellies definitely live in bogs. They seem more concentrated in the rivers where they are literally on top of each other, but they are still probably the most common turtle to see in the bogs except for maybe the painted turtle.

Jeff

And the Friendship bogs would be no exception, I assume. Thanks, Jeff; this is helpful. I'll have to see what else I can learn about them.

Glo