Chesterfield & Crosswicks

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Today, my friend Barbara and I went on a drive searching for historic sites. We started out trying to reach New Egypt and Chesterfield area by going through Ft. Dix. I haven’t been in this area for years and didn’t expect the changes. New roads have been paved through what was once beautiful forests. Security post are in force where before there were none. Therefore, needless to say, we were lost more then once. We ended up on the outskirts of Cookstown, onto New Egypt. There we traveled down the main road only, seeing many older buildings, thus a variety of stores. We eventually crossed over Monmouth Rd. to Jacobstown. There we seen Jacobstown Baptist Church and graveyard. Later we seen Jacobstown United Methodist Church and Cemetery. This church is very unique with peeling white paint, and cloudy stained glass windows. The graves dated back to the early 1800s. Further down the road was Brigadier General William C. Doyle Memorial Cemetery. Here we took a left on Rt. 528 onto Chesterfield.
In the center of town sat the Chesterfield Inn once known as Recklesstown Circa 1710.
Across the road sat an old general store. Here we turned right, and a few miles down the road, was the Singleton House dated 1686. We did not search this town in full, but made a right on our way to Crosswicks. It was our first time visiting Crosswicks, and it is truly a beautiful town. The meeting house was closed unfortunately. We did find an old uniform warehouse which was a meat factory in 1874, and Union Fire Company dated 1822. Throughout our travels we saw many old farmhouses. Some were abandon, and some were private property. Sadly, some old brick houses were painted over, thus probably covering beautiful patterns and dates. :cry:

B

bach2yoga

Sometimes progression seems like regression, eh?
Renee