Chicks and Young Guns

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Two interesting encounters this weekend:

I rounded a bend on a creek and up walked a large turkey out of the sloped bank by the stream. Very agitated, clucking and hollering, kept close to the area. Due to my Woodcock experience 2 weeks ago I was sure what was going on. It only took me 15 seconds to see the 2 turkey chicks hiding in the grass. I ate one and put the other in my pocket. Just kidding, I didn't! But was cool to see them. I quickly got out of there to give her space.

Today I was deep in the woods by Cedar creek and Buddy was with me. He had taken off to explore on his own as usual as I stood in a clearing about 5 yards in diameter. I was surrounded by a sea of green huckleberry and blueberry bushes. I was just about to call him when I saw the bushes moving as he moved toward me, running. But it wasn't him. Out in the clearing right towards me shot a beautiful young deer. He was moving like a bullet. He took one leap and shot through the clearing almost sideways through the air. It was astounding to see how fast they are close up. He was just a blur. Buddy never stood a chance.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The young Turkeys are all over at this time of the year. We saw them right near 539 on the road to the FRM last weekend. Always nice to see.

Guy

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
TeeGate said:
The young Turkeys are all over at this time of the year. We saw them right near 539 on the road to the FRM last weekend. Always nice to see.

Guy

FRM=forked river mountains? Is that public land out there?

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Yup, the turkeys are everywhere. Also saw some babies near Lake Lenape. Also saturday i ran into something strange, a peafowl. Definitly a released pet.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
Some area's are. Where I saw them is Wildlife Management ( Greenwood Forest ). Yes...FRM is that.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4409762&e=553025&size=l&datum=nad83

Guy

The actual mountains themselves are privately owned by Brunetti Construction Company. However, all the conservation foundations are making great inroads into the surrounding area. The Nature Conservancy, The NJ Conservation Foundation, The Forked River Wildlife Management Area (state owned), and the Forked River Mountain Coalition all own land out there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No planned ones that I know of near the Mountain. I think recently they made some nearby.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
grendel said:
It sounds like it is pretty remote, any hiking trails?

Over 25,000 acres of woods. Nice and remote areas in there. The Forked River Mountain Coalition made a nice interpretive nature trail over by the Middle Branch. Its a nice day trip from Wells Mill Park. I think they have the trail information there.