Chopping down a tree?

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I can't assume to think why somebody would try this. I found this in one of the main areas of Stafford Forge. Somebody hacked away and then burned this fairly old and good sized tree. The area near here is just strewn with recent trash and television boxes. :-(

GSRyGh.jpg

rKnWPh.jpg

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The knuckleheads could have atleast followed through on what they started and dropped that tree to the ground. That tree is going to die and become a hazard. Notice that most of the weight is to the left of the trunk, it will fall onto the road when it comes down. What a dumb thing to do, they should have used a Wetterlings.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I think I know where that is. It is on the northeast side looking southeast toward one of the dikes?

Or conversely, it is on the other side of the hill looking northeast from the dike area.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
PD,

This reminds me of someone making a poor attempt at the “Indian” way of charring and chopping with blunt celts and stone hatchets. Is this tree at a trail intersection? White oaks often mark trail crossings in the Pinelands. Their light-colored bark reflected moonlight making them early stop signs. Broad branches provided shade for a resting place too. The Wawa Oak in Millville is one example, signaling the intersections of Old Kings Highway, the New Stage Road, and probably the Leaming Mill trail. I am the tree expert charged with overseeing the oak’s preservation for the Route 55 interchange construction project. The contractor has done an extraordinary job of conservation, at Millville's request. A little bit of awareness and education will go a long way towards the preservation of our cultural treasures.

Speaking of cultural and environmental resource appreciation, the Pinelands Commission has a new addition to their Permitting & Applicant Services site:

This appears to be a good sign that some reforms are in works, including a reaffirmation of Cultural Resource Surveys requirements. Kudos.

S-M

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Spung man
How old is the wawa oak? There was a much bigger oak next to the 7th street laundromat that was chopped down in the last few years.The trunk is still lying there in several sections. It was there and plainly visible in 31 as far back as the aerials go.