Cicadas everywhere

B

BarryC

None here either. I wonder if there were any here, 17 years ago. Maybe not?
I remember them in North Jersey when I was in highschool, or sometime around then. It could have been earlier, maybe mid 70s. I don't remember. I haven't seen any since, that I can remember.
BobM said:
good photos Ed, none in bamber yet.............

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
ecampbell said:
They've been coming out for the last 2 weeks here in Tabernacle, lots of holes in the ground. They're in the car, pool, mailbox, barn. The dogs eat them, they land on you, and I really like their song.

I read where you should not let your dog eat them. Can't remember why though.

As Bob said, nice photo's. Canon is the best 8)

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
None in jackson so far, but I'm sure they'll emerge soon. I don't know about dogs eating them, but I heard they're good dipped in chocolate. Anybody brave enough lemme know.

-Bob

B

bach2yoga

None down here yet, either. Great photos, neat looking critters!....have the molting of a cicada (not periodic) that we found two years ago hiking with the group, when we were in Green Bank.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Bob, you literally took the cicada right out of my mouth! I was just going to say that!
Over the past three years, I have found at least 2 or 3 cicadas in my backyard. I love to hear them sing and wish they were here now. So far, I have seen none this year.
...........Sue.............

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
[/quote]

I read where you should not let your dog eat them. Can't remember why though.

8)

Guy[/quote]

Dogs can't digest their exoskeleton so it can cause them stomach and digestive problems. I don't imagine a few are going to hurt, but if a dog is making a habit of eating them it could make for a trip to the vet, or at least an unpleasant night.

Brian

B

bach2yoga

Brian,
Seems you're right on the mark on that one.
Found this on dogs.about.com, by the humane society:
April 27, 2004
"Crunch, crunch ..." Yuck! Cicada Season?
I've had my share of pulling crunchy bugs out of the mouths of puppies, and tried to stop my dogs from eating beetles before, but never on a grand scale. This press release from the HSUS has me thanking my lucky stars that it's only a tent caterpillar invasion I have to contend with this year, and maybe not even that. Phew!

Press Release:
During Cicada Season, Watch Out For Pets' Overindulgence Says The Humane Society Of The United States

WASHINGTON (April 27, 2004) -The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) cautions pet owners about potential digestion problems for pets who eat too many of the cicadas that will be infesting the atmosphere along the Eastern United States this spring and early summer.

The large-scale emergence of the Brood X cicadas is expected to start in early May and could last a month or more, according reports from entomologists. Randall Lockwood, animal behaviorist and a vice president for The HSUS, says the large, slow moving cicadas are a tasty treat to dogs, cats and other predators. While the insects can provide protein, the exoskeletons of mature cicadas are indigestible. "Pets who gorge on cicadas may find themselves vomiting or constipated," Lockwood said.

However, the bugs are generally harmless to animals. They do not carry toxins, nor do they bite or sting. If a pet catches a few of these insects, it is usually not cause for alarm. But an overindulgent pet who eats many cicadas and has more than one or two episodes of vomiting, or appears to be in pain, may need to see a veterinarian. The HSUS has the following tips for pet owners during cicada season:

Don't leave pets unsupervised outdoors.
Since many cicadas will be clinging to window screens, be sure screens are secured or windows are closed to prevent pets from pushing out screens in pursuit of the creatures.
When walking your dog, maintain a good grip on the leash and be prepared for sudden attempts to grab the flying bugs.
Cats should always be kept indoors for their safety.
Call your veterinarian should your pet exhibit signs of illness including multiple episodes of vomiting or constipation.

These simple precautions can help animal lovers and their companions appreciate this amazing natural event that generally comes only once in the average dog or cat's lifetime.

The HSUS is the nation's largest animal protection organization with over eight million members and constituents. The HSUS is a mainstream voice for animals, with active programs in companion animals and equine protection, wildlife and habitat protection, animals in research and farm animals and sustainable agriculture. The HSUS protects all animals through legislation, litigation, investigation, education, advocacy and fieldwork. The non-profit organization, which celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2004, is based in Washington, DC and has 10 regional offices across the country. Visit us on the Web at www.hsus.org.

B

bach2yoga

Bobbleton said:
None in jackson so far, but I'm sure they'll emerge soon. I don't know about dogs eating them, but I heard they're good dipped in chocolate. Anybody brave enough lemme know.

-Bob

Whet your palate on this one....from national geographic's website.
Renee

Cicadas spend most of their lives underground sucking sap from tree roots. The plant-based diet gives them a green, asparagus-like flavor, especially when eaten raw or boiled, according to Kritsky. The researcher has been looking forward to trying a cicada-vegetable medley.

Gross? Not really, says Jenna Jadin, an entomology graduate student at the University of Maryland in College Park who created a brochure in preparation for the Brood X emergence entitled, "Cicada-Licious: Cooking and Enjoying Periodical Cicada."

In her brochure, Jadin notes that crawfish, lobster, crab, and shrimp are part of the same biological phylumâ€â€arthropodsâ€â€as insects. "So popping a big juicy beetle, cricket, or cicada into your mouth is only a step away," Jadin writes.

Jadin said the recipe she most wants to try is chocolate-covered cicada. "I like chocolate, and chocolate covered insects are common worldwide," she said. "We'll see how comparable they are to chocolate-covered crickets."

Eating insects for food is common throughout the world and dates back thousands of years, Kritsky said. For example, in parts of Africa, scarab beetles are considered a delicacy. In the U.S., however, there is a cultural aversion to bugs.

Healthy Eating?

Jadin's brochure begins with a disclaimer from the University of Maryland asking would-be cicada eaters to first consult a doctor because, like all foods, certain individuals may have an allergic reaction.

Despite the warning, Jadin said there is no evidence to suggest that cicadas are unsafe to eat. Her only concern is the cicadas that emerge in areas heavily treated with pesticides and herbicides, as the insects could have absorbed the chemicals in their bodies.

"Given that it's likely people won't be feasting on cicadas, just eating a few of them, even if they have [absorbed] chemicals it's no worse than eating fish from the Great Lakes," Jadin said. "If [people] survived that, they'll probably survive eating a plateful of cicada."

David George Gordon, a science writer in Port Townsend, Washington, whose Eat-A-Bug Cookbook includes a recipe for cicada-topped pizza, said he is unaware of any adverse health impacts of eating cicada. Or as he put it, "Bug appetit."

The only consequence of cicada feasting that Kritsky is aware of is overindulgence, especially on the part of the family dog or favorite backyard squirrel. The animals may be enticed to gobble cicadas so quickly that the bugs could block the animals' throat.

"Just imagine how you would react if inundated with thousands of flying Hershey Kisses," Kritsky said. "You might go nuts. I'd go nuts. That's what happens to dogs or squirrels."

Eaten in moderation, most experts agree that cicadas are a good source of protein (about the same amount pound per pound as red meat) and are full of vitamins and minerals.

Cicada Preparation

So, are you ready to try a cicada? Aspiring gourmands must first begin by collecting the raw ingredients. The insects are best eaten just after the nymphs break open their skin and before their exoskeleton turns black and hard, cicada aficionados say.

These newly hatched cicadas are called tenerals. Jadin said they are best collected in the early morning hours just after the insects emerge from the ground but before they crawl up a tree, where they are harder to reach.

If tenerals are unavailable, the next best menu item is adult females. Their bellies are fat and full of nutritious eggs.

Adult males, however, offer little to eat. More crunch than munch, their abdomens are hollow. (This enables the flirtatious tunes they strum on body structures known as tymbals to resonate.) With raw cicadas in hand, preparation is a matter of chef's choice. Kritsky said, "Most people like them deep fried and dipped in a sauce like a hot mustard or cocktail sauce." Other people boil or blanch them.

Jadin says cicadas take on a "nutty" flavor when roasted. She notes that many cicada recipes call for a lot of spices and sauce, which usually winds up being the dominant flavor.

Now on to the wine: red or white? The bartenders at the Georgetown Ritz-Carlton hotel in Washington, D.C., say neither. This month, patrons can order a "cicada cocktail." It's made from chilled Grey Goose orange vodka, fresh pineapple juice with a touch of Blue Curacao, shaken not stirred, and served straight up in a martini glass.

opineonthepines

May 24, 2004
new jersey
i visited my parents in medford over the holiday weekend, and i was surprized that there were none to be seen or heard. my dad advised that they don't like sandy soil, which probably explains why there are few in the heart of the PB. where i am in hunterdon, however, is another matter........... the constant hum is like white noise to sleep to at night..........

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Yes wild asparagus as well as blackberries. I used to gather these too. Now there is no sign of either of these crops. The asparagus grew between our house and the Spanish people's house (Alfredo). The blackberries grew behind our house near the big cranberry packinghouse......Sue........

B

bach2yoga

what did you do with the ladybugs in the salt shaker, dare I ask? :)

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Cicada update:

You know what happens when all of those cicada's are finished mating?

They DIE!!!

Wings and disembodied heads everywhere.

B

bach2yoga

EEEWWWWWW YUCK.................................
fertilizer anyone?