clear cutting on stephenson road

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
drove down stephenson road from 72,in barnegat the other day............when almost to oswego,saw about twenty acres of clear cut land................they really leveled the ground,taking out everything..........sad to see in such pretty area............i presume it was a landowner.....still some left there...........anyone know who owns it or did the cutting.............it is close to sim place

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Haines did it.It's his land.I assume he sold it for pulp wood to make paper,thats what I hear Lee did when he clearcut his land.Lot of critters down the tube to put a buck in your pocket but at least he's not developing it,it'll come back,by the time I'm maybe 80 or 90,wonder if I'll be able to get out to see it then.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Because of Pineland regulations, cranberry owners are forced to own a percentage of upland for every acre of wetland. They have to pay taxes on this land that is "useless" to them. By cutting they can get tax credits as a tree farm. If they make a few dollars selling the pitch pine why not? Generally they cut in winter to keep their cranberry workers busy and when most creatures are hibernating or can certainly move out of the immediate area. The underbrush is left along with saplings, it is not bulldozed clean and flat. New growth will rapidly take over providing new, younger habitat and the cycle continues. May not look nice at the moment, similar to a forest fire. Just be glad only small sections are cut and not everything Haines and Lee own.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Al was correct and 1JerseyDevil pretty much sums up the facts. I have talked with hunters that have a club near the Lee property that he cut and they told me the hunting is great. The deer love the new growth.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
IMG_6237A.jpg

IMG_6236A.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
ugly as sin for a few years but I'm sure once the new growth starts the rodent population will actually increase and then in come snakes,owls and everything else that feeds on em.I just think fire leaves a prettier mess then a clearcut and has the same or better advantages.

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
Haines did it.It's his land.I assume he sold it for pulp wood to make paper,thats what I hear Lee did when he clearcut his land.Lot of critters down the tube to put a buck in your pocket but at least he's not developing it,it'll come back,by the time I'm maybe 80 or 90,wonder if I'll be able to get out to see it then.
hi manumuskin.......................many thanks for the info.....................hell,the lands have been cut over so many times,i guess we shall just have to get used to it.....................as the forum says, it has side benefits as well for the wild life................strom