closed to public

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
anyone know why the public access point next to chatsworth lake is closed? I go back there occasionally. Maybe something to do with an injury in the water hole?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Mike, I volunteer out at that preserve for the landowners. I can't say why specifically it was closed off as I'm not sure....however, knowing the people who work out there I would think the area was receiving too much attention from people thinking it was an area to drink and swim. The area back there was getting very crowded as every time I ride by there is at least a half dozen cars there. While the landowners(njcf) are open to have the public access there property that aren't going to allow it for anything but bird watching, hiking, fishing, etc.....I'm sure the beer cans being left there pissed some people off.

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
yeah i remember walking back there a couple of times and finding reminents of food ,wrappers, beer cans and other stuff that doesnt belong in the woods. Its ashame nice places get ruined at times by ignorant people. I don't blame them in that matter.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I haven't been there since May or June, is it closed (no tresspassing) or just blocked to vehicle access? The road has been blocked whenever I've been there, but there were no signs saying the area was closed to foot traffic. It's the road right near the canal, correct? I've carried trash out of there almost every time I go there. If they carry it in, why can't they carry it out? (I know, no need to answer).

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
access road closed

what public access road are you talking about at chatsworth lake. To my knowledge once it was bought and named parkers preserve all access roads were closed to motor vehicle traffic only but foot travel is allowed.All access points were plowed and mounded dirt blocked all entrances.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Are you talking about the gravel road right on the curve?

This thread has been pretty vague; however, I suspect they are referring to the faint road on the lake side just before the curve heading towards Chatsworth from Apple Pie Hill. Not the gravel road leading past the house and the bogs. Am I correct?

Guy

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Hmm, if it's the old road on the lake side of 532, I wonder if the lake is also closed to public access now.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I know the road because 4 weeks ago I went by and a gaggle of about 12 teens had gotten out of cars and were heading back to swim. The next time I went by last weekend it was closed off to the public. As you approach the Lake from Nixons Store side, its the access road before the curve on your left by the canal.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I know the road because 4 weeks ago I went by and a gaggle of about 12 teens had gotten out of cars and were heading back to swim. The next time I went by last weekend it was closed off to the public. As you approach the Lake from Nixons Store side, its the access road before the curve on your left by the canal.

So it is the one I am referring to then.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Yes the access point you all are referring to is the one. It was open until 3 weeks ago. What I can tell you is NJCF is very serious about their property there, they put forth a serious effort and money to purchase the land since it has high levels of many rare things. The land steward out there is not a big fan at all of orv traffic so expect more roads around the adjacent areas to be blocked off, and I couldn't agree with him more. I think for a while they allowed people back there but it just go to the point were enough was enough.

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
Yeah now i think everyone knows what i'm talking about haha. but yeah places get too well known by the wrong people and thats when stuff like that happens

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
I have had people me that the NJCF used funds from the state to buy these lands. That means they used public funds to buy something to keep the public out. I do not know if that is true but if it is then that is not right.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They used public and private funds. They are not keeping the public out, just keeping the public's vehicles and hopefully their trash and rowdiness out. I think we all should be able to live with that.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I disagree with keeping teens from swimming as long as they walk back there, and that is what they were doing. What they did by blocking all access is over the top. If they want to bust them once in awhile for drinking and trashing it up back there to give them a lesson until they understand, thats fine...but don't lock Chatsworth kids out from swimming.

NJCF and State DEP; are you listening?

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
I agree with you bruset. I hate seeing any kind of trash or damage in the pines, but do we have to close the pines to stop it? I have had people tell me that to preserve the pines they should close the roads and stop hunting, fishing, camping and hiking. I find that a bit extreme. Why should the majority of good people suffer? We have to realize there will always be a few bad apples no matter what we do in life.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I agree with you bruset. I hate seeing any kind of trash or damage in the pines, but do we have to close the pines to stop it? I have had people tell me that to preserve the pines they should close the roads and stop hunting, fishing, camping and hiking. I find that a bit extreme. Why should the majority of good people suffer? We have to realize there will always be a few bad apples no matter what we do in life.

If it truly is private property then they have a right to close it. Obviously I am not one to suggest that we close off the Pines to the public. I have been very vocal about open access. I just hate to see private property ruined by inconsiderate folks. The misanthrope in me just can't seem to trust the kids that go back there to 'party' to clean up their mess.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is a photo so everyone can see it.

IMG_1143.JPG

Guy