Cloverdale Bogs

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Today a bunch of us went on a guided tour of the Cloverdale Bogs in Barnegat. Fellow forum member GermanG was nice enough to show us around the bogs and the sights of Wells Mills.

I also want to apologize for not saying much today. I'm getting over a cold and I'm still not feeling all that swift.

I only had my camera out at Cloverdale Bogs, so all of my pictures are from there. Others can fill in the blanks for the Wells Mills part. :)

CRW_0373.jpg

Weathervane on top of a storage shed.

CRW_0379.jpg

The Improved Hayden Separator, for getting the chaff off the berries. Ultimately it was found to be a somewhat time consuming and unnecessary step and wasn't used much.

CRW_0380.jpg

Our tour guide, GermanG.

CRW_0381.jpg

An orchard behind the storage building.

CRW_0382.jpg

A dried out bog.

CRW_0385.jpg

The packing and sorting house.

CRW_0389.jpg

Inside the packing and sorting house. We all wished we could sort some berries.

CRW_0391.jpg

A somewhat modern (early 20th Century) cold cellar.

CRW_0392.jpg

Farm buildings.

CRW_0394.jpg

Bogs

CRW_0395.jpg

The reservoir feeding the bogs.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
A great Trip !!

Foremost, a huge thanks to German!! for the tour. By far the best ever of any County or State Tour ever. Perhaps the personal touch of our group. For the record, Sam told me over lunch that while most museum and tour guys are kinda boring, German was not boring at all. From a nine year old, this is a high compliment! It was good seeing Guy again and a pleasure to meet Jess. Cathy, I could talk for hours to regarding Baymen & such. Whiting Rider, very cool dude. LQUENCH... you are a very cool dude, just don't hold the Bogart thing against me. I was really glad Ben was there. It is a fine thing seeing the guy that makes this all possible in the group. And then there's Bob. What can one say about Bob?
Sam & I had good time on our side & arrived early so we went down to the lake.
MORNING_MIST.JPG

GEESE.JPG

This shot was all well & fine till a bunch of wood ducks flew up from under the dam & nearly knocked me over.
AFTER_DAM.JPG

The falls.
RUSHING.JPG

The creek after the falls.
CREEK.JPG

I meant to ask German about this hut but never got to it. I assumed it was a mock up of a hunter's blind?
HUT.JPG

My Pic of Lynn's Poem.
LYNN_S_POEM.JPG

Cliff's "girls" as German called them. They came in promptly upon his imitation of Cliff's call.
THE_GIRLS.JPG

More of the girls.
GIRLS_AGAIN.JPG

A few remaining berries at the bogs.
REMAINS1.JPG

I am of the mind that many magnificent pics were taken by persons beyond my means but I offer these just the same. Jerseyman, it would have been an extra benefit to have your input but I assure you German excels in his presentation.
I opted to take Route 9 home & stop by seven bridges for a look at the stink house and some other stuff. Sam & I enjoyed.
Again, great seeing all you guys. German, thanks for the heads up on the Teaberries!

G. & Sam !

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There isn’t much to say about the day except that I am so glad I attended. With German as a guide the day could not have failed. As a tour guide he is unequaled! Despite what many might think, it is hard to impress Jessica, and today did.

To the photo’s! BTW, they were all taken with my wife’s camera.

Here is the Cedarview Lodge at Wells Mills.

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

A stained glass window there.

IMG_0731.JPG

The back porch

IMG_0748.JPG

Then to Cloverdale. Here is Largo and his son Sam pondering this dry harvesting machine invented by Tom Darlington from Whitesbogs.

IMG_0753.JPG

The “Improved” Hayden Separator which is used to separate the good cranberries from the ones you hate to even look at.

IMG_0757.JPG

The ever popular one hole outhouse.

IMG_0768.JPG

Where all the cranberry action happened. This was my favorite place for sure.

IMG_0769.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

The roof beams of this building are not the usual.

IMG_0785.JPG

This photo shows Bobpbx on the left, and GermanG on the right. They are sitting in the chairs where the woman would sit to sort the cranberries as they headed down the belt.

IMG_0773.JPG

Here is the computer hard drive for keeping records.

IMG_0776.JPG

The future offices.

IMG_0787.JPG

And in the root cellar Bob noticed this.

IMG_0788.JPG

Guy

Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
German, you are an excellant tour guide. Very informative. I liked the mechanical picker best of all.

Thanks very much.

Nice meeting and seeing all of you today................bob

I am so impressed by all your photos - they are all great! It was so much fun meeting all of you today, and exciting to share what this area of the Pine Barrens has to offer! German, thanks for your time. It was so kind of you to share your knowledge with us. Now, we have to plan a canoe trip!

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I'm glad everyone enjoyed the day. I also benefit from going out with a group like we had today, as I'm a typical naturalist, having some knowledge on lots of topics but certainly not an expert in many of them. I end up learning plenty on days like this one as well.

As for Cathy's suggestion of a canoe trip, that's certainly possible. We need two staff on every canoe trip, but I'm sure I can twist Mickey's arm. Most of our regular canoeing patrons are more interested in paddling than exploring, so this group would make for a fun outing!

And my kids still think I'm boring as hell ("there he goes with that nature crap again!")

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
Well, I had a great time! First thanx go to Ben for one of my favorite websites and excellent photos. I had a sense you were not feeling well. Then, I agree: German, you're the best! Been on many tours, and they usually go on and on about one subject. You are like me, some knowledge of many subjects. Just great! Cathy, nice meeting you and enjoyed our chat on the way back to our cars. George, I don't think old guys can be be "very cool dudes", but I take it as a very nice compliment. Bob, great seeing you again. We both love old equipment as do Tom and George. Guy, great photos, as usual. Glad you got that stained glass window as I missed it. Ben, let me know if it is OK for me to arrange a tour of the estate I caretake in Andalusia, PA. Built in 1857, lots of history and old "stuff". 25 rooms and sits on the Delaware River facing Delanco, NJ. It is only 15 minutes from the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge. I know Tom wants to see it, anyone else?
Thanx again!
Lynn (Len)

Sorry, folks, but there is no redeeming Pine Barren content in this message!

Ben, let me know if it is OK for me to arrange a tour of the estate I caretake in Andalusia, PA. Built in 1857, lots of history and old "stuff". 25 rooms and sits on the Delaware River facing Delanco, NJ. It is only 15 minutes from the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge. I know Tom wants to see it, anyone else?
Lynn (Len)

Lynn or Len:

Wow--I knew you lived in Bucks County, but I had no idea you cared for one of the riverfront mansions! Since you mention the date 1857, I know the estate is not THE Andalusia or Pen Rhyn. Do you work at [Tiger] Dell, Devon, Chelwood, Chestnut Wood, or Traviskan? Or are you at one of the estates upriver from Pen Rhyn?

I am fascinated with all of the riverfront estates on both sides of the Delaware and have compiled a great deal of research on them.

I would certainly enjoy taking part in your suggested visit!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
I see the message and that is why I asked permission. I will handle tour via private messages. However, there is, I believe, a possible connection. The Biddles of the estate Andalusia, just up the street, I believe were friends of the Whartons, Lippincotts, etc. and spent time at Batsto.
Len

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Those of you who were there on Sunday should check yourselves over well for ticks. You may remember me saying I had found a few on me, and tonight I had to go to the doctors and have one removed from my back. It had caused my back to swell in the area and Jessica and my wife could not get it all out.

Guy

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Very nice photos, Ben. Very nice colors, did you use a polarizer?
It sucks having a cold, for me, I have to do my best to avoid getting sick because a cold means an excruciatingly painful middle ear infection for at least a couple of weeks, even with antibiotics the fluid takes a long time to go away.
So I wash my hands like my life depends on it and wear a face mask in crowded places, and of course avoiding coughers.
Anyway I hope you feel better, we have some crisp chilly weather coming up next week, good for piney woods hikes.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Those of you who were there on Sunday should check yourselves over well for ticks. You may remember me saying I had found a few on me, and tonight I had to go to the doctors and have one removed from my back. It had caused my back to swell in the area and Jessica and my wife could not get it all out.

Guy

Yeah the ticks are still out, I miss the way winters used to be. The ground was frozen and there snow on the ground, and the ticks went away. Mild winters suck. Lets hope it's just a weather pattern and not something permanant.:(
Until things change I will have to keep waking to the sounds of leaf blowers...in January.