Coal stoves

tdozer

May 18, 2009
I just had a friend of mine give me a large Pine Barren wood stove. Lee(the very interesting man who built pine barren stoves) said it is called a Coal Barren and it will burn both wood or coal. I was just gonna burn wood in it. When i stopped to Pine barren stove shop to get a couple of fire bricks it needed, Lee gave me a bag of coal. He said to try it to see if i liked it. Well......Im hooked. I can put 40lbs of coal in it and i dont need to mess with it for at least another 12 hours!!! I was just wondering if anyone else around here has this stove and if anyone still burns coal.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I have a Consoldated Dutchwest stove that I burn wood in but the people that I bought my house from used to burn coal only. They said it worked great and you could get a long slow burn on a load of coal. I used to have a coal bin in my front yard that was on the ugly side, when company would come over for the first time they would ask why I had a chicken coup in the front yard.

I think I am going to get a pellet stove in the near future. My sister in Vermont has one and it works great, electric start, a 40 Lbs hopper that will burn for 11 to 12 hours on a lower setting and no wood to chop, split and stack.

Good luck with the stove.

Chris

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
I have a coal stove that I am willing to give away to a good home. I need the room, It is in my Waretown home that I am going to have rebuilt shortly so my wife and I can move down there as a primary residence. I don't know much about it except that the person whom I bought the house from used it, I have never. I bought the house in 2000. It is heavy, has a attractive front, see through, he would vent it up his fireplace, and it is resting on a dolly, but it will take several people to load it on a PU truck. The previous owner was a steamfitter with the Oyster Creek Nuclear Plant, and told me that he could heat the home for the winter with a ton of coal. That doesn't mean much to me. I like to turn up the themostat when I am cold and turn it down when I am hot. If you want it please reply.

Tony

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Granny said when they were younguns they used to pull coal out of the road cut and take it home on a cart pulled by Betsy but then again she lived in west virginny.Pray tell would you get coal around here?Not a Tertiary coal deposit nowhere in site:) Bet you didn't think I'd know that:)
Al

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Im putting a western-style swinging door saloon above my garage/barn. If the coal stove burns wood too Id be very interested if Jeff is not. I was going to put a wood stove up there, but Im not too fond of burning coal (and I have a surplus of wood right now for our other stove). I would look into the cost vs efficiency of a pellet stove compared to wood. Burning pellets has become more expensive these days, as their cost continues to rise. A friend got rid of his and went back to wood because of this reason. He was not the first person I've heard complain. As someone mentioned, hearth.com is the go-to place for any questions you may have. Please keep in mind that because it is open to the public, some board members are retailers and have an agenda, but most of the people are knowledgeable and friendly. I attached this before, but love showing it off when I get the chance. Its our new Jotul we put in this Fall. Haven't used the thermostat once this year:

Attachments

• pics 4 pines 009.jpg
    pics 4 pines 009.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 2,259

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
no wood to chop, split and stack.

Chris

That's my favorite part. I enjoy my heat much more because I know its all due to my hard work. There's something to be said about enjoying the fruits of your own labor. I've always been drawn to this concept. Makes me appreciate the warmth of the house more than I would otherwise.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
That's my favorite part.

Used to be my favorite part. I still have both of my saws but I sold my splitter. I used to get logs dumped in my driveway and I would do all the work. Now I just get the split wood dumped in my driveway and all I do is stack it, much better on the back.

Chris

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Tony, can it burn wood as well, or is it coal only. Either way I'll probably take it, I just need to look into what I else I need, which doesn't appear to be much. The previous owner of the house had one going up the chimmney and there is already a platform for it.

Jeff

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I absolutely agree about growing/cutting/hauling/splitting your own wood. This is my second year of doing this completely by myself. It's hard work, no doubt, and can seem overwhelming at times. But I truly cannot think of anything else I've done recently that seems so satisfying.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Btw Piney Mike nice looking set up, looks real good. Is that real or cultured stone? My backing and platform looks like brick but is made of fiberglass. I would like to switch it over to a fieldstone type of look.

bigw00dy

Scout
Apr 10, 2008
www.kiddshow.com
Lee is a great guy. The 1st time i stopped in there, I was there for over 2 hours. All I needed was a few fire bricks to replace my craked ones in my stove. I drove by his place for years unitl I realized it was an actual store.

Nice setup Piney Mike!

I have been burning since i 1st bought the house. 6 years later and still never bought any wood. I can always seem to round a few up during the year.

tdozer

May 18, 2009
Wow!!! stoves go quick round here........
Yup the first time I stopped into see Lee, it was 2hrs. I just walked into my backyard tonight and gathered some firewood. The stove is amazing, but m gonna stick to coal this year anyway. I spent $50 on coal and im set for a couple months. How can i go wrong with that?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
From a little googling, i am getting that you can burn wood in a coal stove, no problem. The reverse is not so true. Tony, let me know when I might be able to see it, that would be great, thanks,

Jeff

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Jeff,
Not trying to scare you away from the stove in any way, but this seems new to you so here's some info. Your fireplace will either need liner and/or stovepipe run up it and a chimney cap that will fit it properly. The pipe on my stove almost cost as much as the stove itself. It also must be installed properly to pass inspection by your township (you'll most likely want to do this for insurance purposes). This is when clearances come into play. Many fireplaces can only accept a few different stove models or sizes, this depends on if your pipe will come out the rear of stove or the top of stove (some stoves only have one option). This will also determine if the pipe will run straight up the fireplace or have an elbow in it. Make sure it will fit properly and pass the clearances for inspection. Even if you want to skip the inspection, you'll want it to be up to code just so your house and safety aren't in jeopardy. There's nothing like burning wood for heat. Enjoy.
Mike

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
When I installed my stove, I also did it "by the book" and had it inspected. I live in Estell Manor and they don't have a building inspector, which is typical for many little towns. In that case you need to contact a regional office state office and they will send an inspector which covers your territory.

The whole process only took a few weeks from application until the inspection, and the guy who came was very nice. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. :) Aside from the obvious safety and insurance concerns, if you ever sell your house they are bound to ask if it was properly installed and inspected.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Tony, can it burn wood as well, or is it coal only. Either way I'll probably take it, I just need to look into what I else I need, which doesn't appear to be much. The previous owner of the house had one going up the chimmney and there is already a platform for it.

Jeff

Jeff, that is exactly how the previous owner of my house used the stove. I have never used it but it looks like coal only, but I could be wrong. It is on a dolly that was moved to the fireplace and it stayed on this dolly for the winter. The pipe comes out the back and it had to do a 90 degree before going up the chimmney. The stove isn't going anywhere we just have to coordinate our times. e-mail is anthonyrep@verizon.net

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Is that real or cultured stone? My backing and platform looks like brick but is made of fiberglass. I would like to switch it over to a fieldstone type of look.

We used cultured in our cabin for the breakfast bar. You have to be careful around a stove, need to meet the heat requirements. We solved that by using a premade piece that had the look of bluestone.

The cultured stone, really just colored and formed concrete. It is put out by Eldorado Stone, very easy stuff to work with.

http://www.eldoradostone.com

23672031.jpg