Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
From the NWS forecast....

Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 32. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We need a good April blizzard; haven't had one in over 35 years. Maybe it would smother the virus. :dance:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Line of storms approaching here right now and the wind gusts are getting intense. This front is really moving fast.

radar.jpg

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
We need a good April blizzard; haven't had one in over 35 years. Maybe it would smother the virus. :dance:

I don’t think the blueberry and peach farmers would like a blizzard? If the wind keeps blowing it shouldn’t freeze.

Reactions: Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It should get interesting when they start shipping. Fresh foods are having a hard time due to lack of demand. Dairy farmer's have been told to start dumping milk.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Just returned from a walk out back, had to cut it short because I get nervous when the trees bend over too far. ;) AC International reporting 49 mph winds.

--------

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
1053 AM EDT Fri Apr 10 2020

...WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EDT THIS EVENING...

* WHAT...West winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph
expected.

* WHERE...Central and southern New Jersey, the Philadelphia
metropolitan area, the southern Poconos, the Eastern Shore of
Maryland, and Delaware.

* WHEN...From 7 AM this morning to 7 PM EDT this evening.

* IMPACTS...Gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects.
Tree limbs could be blown down, and a few power outages may
result.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Use extra caution when driving, especially if operating a high
profile vehicle. Secure outdoor objects.

Reactions: 46er

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Just came in from my "healthful outdoor recreation walk, but stay close to home". Looped around a large block, about 2.6 miles. I chose the direction to make the 'upwind' section the more sheltered. It was very fun. Don't be scared of the wind - just watch out for flying trees! Also trash cans. I felt a little bad, though. When I passed a marshy area, I apparently spooked an egret that was near the road. Small one, probably a snowy egret. It took flight, but because of the wind it was having trouble getting back to where it wanted to be. Sorry, egret.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My youngest daughter and I took a walk today and traveled to my sister-in-laws house and texted them to come to the front window. We tried to talk through the window but they have the best soundproof windows you can buy I guess. Jen had to get right to the window to hear her. We should have talked by phone. Anyway, it was a little over 2 miles there and back. It was interesting fighting the wind on the way back.

My teeth for the first time in my life are almost straight. Especially the bottom after being infected.

IMG_4413a.JPG

teeth.JPG

Just came in from my "healthful outdoor recreation walk, but stay close to home". Looped around a large block, about 2.6 miles. I chose the direction to make the 'upwind' section the more sheltered. It was very fun. Don't be scared of the wind - just watch out for flying trees! Also trash cans. I felt a little bad, though. When I passed a marshy area, I apparently spooked an egret that was near the road. Small one, probably a snowy egret. It took flight, but because of the wind it was having trouble getting back to where it wanted to be. Sorry, egret.

Had to get stuff out of the trunk of my car today, a wind gust tried to remove the trunk lid.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As soon as the sun comes up my thermometer rises quickly and I did not check earlier. Right now it is 61 :D

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I have several digital thermometer/hydrometers inside and one out on the porch. They also show the minimum/maximum temperature and humidity for a 24 hour period. Paid $10 each at Lowes a few years ago, well worth the money. Looks like they have been replaced with a new version that has a different case with the same screen and it costs a dollar more..

https://www.lowes.com/pd/AcuRite-Digital-Indoor-Black-Thermometer/50425254

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I have several digital thermometer/hydrometers inside and one out on the porch. They also show the minimum/maximum temperature and humidity for a 24 hour period. Paid $10 each at Lowes a few years ago, well worth the money. Looks like they have been replaced with a new version that has a different case with the same screen and it costs a dollar more..
I put an AcuRite digital indoor/outdoor thermometer with wireless remote sensor at the Bass River SF office. The range to the sensor unit is given as 165 feet, which is pretty decent, so I used my map to measure, and hid the thing as far into the forest as I could, hanging from a tree. Because I really just want to know what the temperature is "out there". I didn't tell anyone where the sensor is - but I have a GPX waypoint for it. Anyway, it works OK most of the time, but the batteries don't last that long. Also, it's supposed to show the min and max temp for the day, for 48 hours, and over all time since it was reset, but occasionally it seems to mess up, and the clock has to be reset.

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I had one of those too, and put it a distance away from the house. Also had some problems like yours. But after a little over a year, it completely died. Thought it was a dead battery (and you're right, they didn't last long) but that wasn't the problem. So I gave up on those. The ones shown above have been rock-solid reliable for me over a period of maybe 5 years and the batteries last over a year.

Reactions: old jersey girl