Comcast speed increase

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you have a Comcast account or for that matter any high speed account, you may find this helpful. I received an email from Comcast informing me the speed of my internet had increased but in order to get that speed I needed a modem that supported DOCSIS 3.0
I checked my modem and it was 2.0, so I purchased a new modem, but before installing it I wanted to do a speed test on my old one to compare the difference. I have never been happy with the websites that test the speed so I found a file I had uploaded to my webspace and decided to download that and see how long it took. I did just that and it took 8 minutes and 21 seconds to download. I installed the new modem, called Comcast to add the new modem to my account, and within 20 minutes I was downloading the same file again with the new modem. This time it only took 3 minutes and 18 second more than doubling the download speed. So check your modem and make a decision if you want to spend the money to purchase a new one to get the extra speed you are paying for. Just keep in mind this may or may not work for you depending where you are or what service provider you have.

I purchased the Motorola SURFboard SB6141 at Best Buys which had 361 reviews and almost all of them were positive.

Guy

Reactions: Ben Ruset

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If you have a Comcast account or for that matter any high speed account, you may find this helpful. I received an email from Comcast informing me the speed of my internet had increased but in order to get that speed I needed a modem that supported DOCSIS 3.0
I checked my modem and it was 2.0, so I purchased a new modem, but before installing it I wanted to do a speed test on my old one to compare the difference. I have never been happy with the websites that test the speed so I found a file I had uploaded to my webspace and decided to download that and see how long it took. I did just that and it took 8 minutes and 21 seconds to download. I installed the new modem, called Comcast to add the new modem to my account, and within 20 minutes I was downloading the same file again with the new modem. This time it only took 3 minutes and 18 second more than doubling the download speed. So check your modem and make a decision if you want to spend the money to purchase a new one to get the extra speed you are paying for. Just keep in mind this may or may not work for you depending where you are or what service provider you have.

I purchased the Motorola SURFboard SB6141 at Best Buys which had 361 reviews and almost all of them were positive.

Guy

All enhancements for Comcast require DOCIS 3 equipment, its been that way for at about a year. Comcast has a site that shows the minimum equipment requirements. This is all Comcast specific. If you do not use Comcast you should contact your provider to see if they have moved to DOCSIS.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/list-of-approved-cable-modems/

A good independent speed testing site.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I used both Xfinity and Speedtest and it was consistantly 28.85 and 5.63 with a ping of 9 on one and 13 on the other.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I just ran a scan and I have 31.48 download and 11.54 upload speeds. Ping is 16

I have no idea what any of that means. Is it worth a wireless router upgrade ?
Can I launch the space shuttle with my laptop ?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I just ran a scan and I have 31.48 download and 11.54 upload speeds. Ping is 16

I have no idea what any of that means.

It all depends on what performance level you are paying for with your provider. Check what the rated speed is for your plan. If what your results show is below that speed complain to them; if it's above, be happy.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think my Verizon DSL plan is called "dog-slow internet". :D But it's all that I can get back here in the woods until somebody offers affordable high speed wireless..

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My bill just says "High Speed Internet". It doesn't match any of the levels on the web site: http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

On the Comcast site you can start a 'conversation' with a support rep; its called 'Comcast Chat' on the Contact page. They will be able to give you the info regarding your accounts speed. I've had much better success using that with problems and questions than a phone call, and you can print a transcript.