Consuming pine pollen

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
Has anyone on these forums ever heard of harvesting pine pollen for consumption? Apparently it is extremely healthy for humans with an endless list of benefits. I never knew about this until yesterday. Only reason I found out is due researching pine pollen after being stuck in a blinding pollen wind storm while telescoping the other night at Oswego. I can never remember it being so bad to where it looks equivalent to fog/fire smoke. A simple Google or YouTube search yields many links referring to pine pollen harvest and consumption.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Interesting. I wonder what would happen if you were allergic to it and then ate it?:bang:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have been "consuming" lots of it through my nose over the past few days. Really bad down here. And the windy, dry conditions make it that much worse.

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
Guy, I was wondering the same thing haha. Boyd, last night the pollen was crazy once the wind picked up. I never saw anything like it. Felt like I was breathing in fire smoke. Weird thing is I felt amazing when I woke up this morning. Surprised I never heard of it being an extremely healthy super food

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Insanity last night here in Bamber. The wind was blowing strong at 10:30 PM and the pollen was just rolling down the street in yellow clouds. Here is an un-retouched photo I took.

pollen.PNG

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The pollen here is not that bad this year, I've seen a lot worse, but the oak catkins are unbelievable, have never seen them this heavy. Going to be a huge acorn crop come autumn.

Cedar pollen

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
Bobpbx, that's exactly when it got crazy at Oswego last night too. Peaceful quiet for hours; then out of nowhere BOOM! Blinding pollen storm

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
It happens here every years here. When the pines let the pollen go it usually lasts about a week. We usually close up the house to keep it out. This year is worse then normal because we have had no rain to wash it away.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It happens here every years here. When the pines let the pollen go it usually lasts about a week. We usually close up the house to keep it out. This year is worse then normal because we have had no rain to wash it away.

You know, it's kind of odd. It's like the pines control the weather for this one week. This range of days (5/11 through 5/16) always has at least two warm and windy days. And, have you ever noticed, that a rain will only stop the pollen for about 8 hours? Almost as soon as the sun comes out it's back.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
You know, it's kind of odd. It's like the pines control the weather for this one week. This range of days (5/11 through 5/16) always has at least two warm and windy days. And, have you ever noticed, that a rain will only stop the pollen for about 8 hours? Almost as soon as the sun comes out it's back.

Yes I have noticed it. It seems it's at its worst right after a good rain too.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
the oak catkins are unbelievable, have never seen them this heavy.

It's been just terrible down here this year, but the timing is very different from your area. It started in earnest last Tuesday and is still going after a full week. The ground is covered with the dust and there's a new coating on everything a couple hours after you clean it off. Hopefully it's almost over, has really been bothering me this year.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It's been just terrible down here this year, but the timing is very different from your area. It started in earnest last Tuesday and is still going after a full week. The ground is covered with the dust and there's a new coating on everything a couple hours after you clean it off. Hopefully it's almost over, has really been bothering me this year.

It's just about all done here, maybe a very light dusting overnight. I was using the leaf blower to get rid of it instead of tracking it into the house. The catkins stick to everything, like velcro.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I believe this year's pollen crop to be the heaviest in my memory. Lack of rainfall allowed for its recycling, so the dust ended up everywhere. This is the first year I've had a scratchy throat from it. Awful.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I believe this year's pollen crop to be the heaviest in my memory. Lack of rainfall allowed for its recycling, so the dust ended up everywhere. This is the first year I've had a scratchy throat from it. Awful.

That's probably why I had a scratchy throat for a couple of days. I didn't consider the pollen.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I was planning to wait until June to put the air conditioner in the bedroom window, but I broke down and did it yesterday. What a huge difference - I slept well and woke up with a clear head. I definitely have a reaction to this stuff. Even if you aren't allergic, just breathing this volume of particles must have some effect.

It really hasn't let up at all until this morning when I noticed less on the car and porch furniture.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
The pines stopped here about 2 weeks ago but untl the rain a couple of days ago every time I drive down my street I would kick up a cloud of dust and you could see my tire marks in the pollen on the street.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Just to be clear…. my last few posts have been about oak pollen. The pine pollen ended a couple weeks ago. :) And we haven't had a drop of rain here for more than a week, getting really dry.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
And we haven't had a drop of rain here for more than a week, getting really dry.

We had more rain up here in a few hours than I have ever seen, more than Sandy. They were pulling folks out of flooded cars all over the local area. Storms were very localized and lasted several hours.