cottonmouths

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
snakesoldiers22 said:
i have alot of friends who argue with me about cottonmouths living in Jersey and i dont believe they do, do they?

No, they don't. The "cottonmouth" or "water mocassin" reaches the northern extreme of its coastal plain range in Dismal Swamp, in SE Virginia, and its mid-continent northern extreme at the southern tip of Illinois (or used to about 50 years ago...)

Dave

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I love it!

Cottonmouths . . . water moccosins in NJ have always been a topic that bothered me. Probably its been the numerous boasts i've heard over the years of brave individuals who've seen cottonmouths and killed them spit spat. I even had a cop brag about how he shot six in one day (on vacation), then proceed to argue with me over the fact that there isn't a wild cottonmouth within a few hundred miles of here. Not that killing innocent cottonmouths without any cause is justified . . . but knowing they were all watersnakes being hacked apart and shot up because of (everyone's) ignorance . . . it just infuriates me. Being wrong about something -- everyone does that. But it just seems like people cling to this erroneous belief as if it promised them salvation in the afterlife.
I eventually have to resort to: "listen--we are biologists who specialize in reptiles and amphibians. there are NO cottonmouths anywhere near here."
Its funny . . . showing them a published fieldguide isn't enough to make them believe . . . but swallow my b.s. like a spoonful of warm oatmeal on a cold winter morning. Blows my mind that a popular publication is less believable than the word of a man 30 credits short of his "official status".

-Bob

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I know. I think we had this disscussion before. It is amazing how many people are convinced that anything remotely resembling a watersnake is a cottonmouth. These same people expect a medal for killing them. It is frustrating.