Coyle Airstrip

Ken Walker

Feb 9, 2013
Woodstown, NJ
I've flown over Coyle a few times during my trips through the Pinelands. From what I know, Coyle is used solely as a forest fire-fighting strip, and is otherwise off limits to general aviation and transient aircraft. The strip looks like it would be fun to land on, being just a few sand (go figure) strips in an otherwise thickly wooded area. However, the only aircraft that land there are water bombers and emergency aircraft. I've never seen aircraft actually parked there however, only a few pilots talk about it. Plus they have a navigational aid on the field (the Coyle VOR) that I use frequently, so I'm often skirting the edge. I've always considered just pulling a sneak attack and doing a touch-and-go on the field, but have withheld myself from doing so. Has anyone ever been to or know anyone whose been to Coyle Field before? Any details or interesting stuff you know about this strategically placed strip?

sr71dgv.jpg

Here's the airport on my sectional below. Note the little box with a parachute, which indicates that aerial dropping is done from that airport, such as water bombing. The "R" means that it's a private field.

kJph4Lm.jpg

Reactions: Apu Zen

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Since it is a private field, you are required to get permission prior to any landing attempts. Failure to do so could get your newly acquired license pulled. Something you would not want in your logbook. But if your felling lucky.... :rolleyes:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As I said...don't do it.

IMG_3020.JPG

This location in your photo is an interesting place.

sr71dgv.jpg

322.JPG

Guy

Ken Walker

Feb 9, 2013
Woodstown, NJ
Don't worry guys, I know my aviation regulations pretty well, and I know I'd probably get chewed pretty good if they got my tail number, which isn't hard to do since it's painted on the side of the aircraft. It's something everyone knows NOT to do, but everyone DREAMS of doing ;) It's still an interesting site, mainly because aerial firefighting fascinates me.

Guy, what is that exactly? Looks like a pretty random concrete slab, but I see where it is in the aerial shot. I'm curious what it is though aside from that.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, what is that exactly? Looks like a pretty random concrete slab, but I see where it is in the aerial shot. I'm curious what it is though aside from that.

I wish I knew exactly what it was for. There is a large depression in the ground on one side of it as if there may have been something there at one time. During the war Coyle was used as a reserve landing location for planes out of Atlantic City. With this in mind there is a possibility it was used to protect something, or maybe used as a lookout. Or it could have been a guard location at the back of the field. It may have even been used to stand behind during some sort of artillery or weapons practice.

Guy

Ken Walker

Feb 9, 2013
Woodstown, NJ
I wish I knew exactly what it was for. There is a large depression in the ground on one side of it as if there may have been something there at one time. During the war Coyle was used as a reserve landing location for planes out of Atlantic City. With this in mind there is a possibility it was used to protect something, or maybe used as a lookout. Or it could have been a guard location at the back of the field. It may have even been used to stand behind during some sort of artillery or weapons practice.

Guy

That seems odd, I'd be curious to find that out. It's hard to affirmatively say what it could've been. With so many strange things going on at airports sometimes it's impossible to tell. Maybe it was a target for drop-practice? For all we know it could've just been put there because it was a convenient spot to put it, for no real reason. At any rate, I'd imagine someone who works on the field would know what it is.

I forgot about Bader Field until you brought it up. It's still there mostly, aside from the runways being closed. I've always wanted to kayak out there and just walk around. It's a shame they closed it, it's in a great location aside from the urban sprawl around it.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Normally I'd say go for it but with the technology today even if no one is there I'm sure there are cameras,there is RADAR so someone would know your flying over the place really low and then when you blipped out they would assume you landed.They would be waiting for you when you landed.It's like tresspassing on foot.Your crutch is your vehicle.Thats where you get caught most of the time. The trick is to park on public land and then enter and exit at different points but with a plane you don't have that advantage.Your too visible and probably even have some type of GPS device operating on your plane.That makes me wonder could my gps evenr be used against me? I could always say i had it attached to the dog and she ran off:)

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
Ken: First I’d like to say it’s nice seeing a young person involved with aviation. With the change in culture and expense it’s increasingly an aging activity.
The state bought the property in 1935. State Forest Fire Warden LeonidasCoyle was an aviation pioneer. New Jersey was one of the first places where aircraft was used to fight wildland fires. Coyle flew out of the old Bakers Basin Airport (now the site of the Quaker Bridge Mall). He would fly out over fires, write out a message to ground forces, and then drop it from the air plane to help direct them where to make their stand. Coyle envisioned an airfield and a supply depot in the center of the Pines. Coyle died suddenly in 1938. The Forest Fire Service started work clearing runways in the late 1930s. Right before World War II the Army did more improvements widening runways for their use. The best I can figure they used Coyle to support their operation at the Warren Grove Range. Air craft were landed there and rearmed and fueled between practice bomb runs. The U.S. Air Force still maintains a lease over several 100 acres for use as a drop zone. The Forest Fire Service began basing air tankers at Coyle in the early 1960s. The present hanger was assembled there in 1989. It houses helicopters and some fixed wing planes.
The history of the Coyle Monolith is sketchy. I’ve heard the story of it being used for soldiers to hide behind while they scored shots on to a target range that was located just to the south of the property. I spoke with an old fellow who has hunted the property for decades. He recalls the remains of wooden targets. The Monolith itself was made by poured concrete. You can see the imprint of the wooden forms pressed into the concrete.

Ken Walker

Feb 9, 2013
Woodstown, NJ
The best I can figure they used Coyle to support their operation at the Warren Grove Range. Air craft were landed there and rearmed and fueled between practice bomb runs. The U.S. Air Force still maintains a lease over several 100 acres for use as a drop zone. The Forest Fire Service began basing air tankers at Coyle in the early 1960s.

First off thanks for the huge bit of information there. It definitely summed up everything I've questioned about Coyle, and the area around it. If you notice theres a magenta "fence" with the letters "A-220" and blue fenced areas with "R-5002 A&F" on my sectional. These two areas are designated alert areas and restricted areas respectively. I'd imagine the restricted areas are for the practice runs that you speak of, seeing as though one of the areas covers Warren Grove. I'm obviously not allowed to fly into restricted areas so that makes sense it being a practice area for dropping things. As far as I know though, it just means KEEP OUT!

As for the alert areas, I'm allowed to fly through these areas as long as I'm on my toes and looking for any "unusual or unseen hazard". My best guess is for both McGuire AFB's aerial refuelers that fly in, and also for forest fire operations as well. They encourage you to contact a control frequency, which would give you advisories on the area. Seeing as though it covers a large area of the Pinelands, I'm guessing its to protect these tankers and any other aircraft going into or around McGuire if there is a fire. But then again, that's just a guess. There's no real way to tell why they have restricted areas, alert areas and military operation areas aside from a little logic and guessing. Just follow the rules, you'll be a fine ;)

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
There is a lot of restricted airspace up that way, between the Range and the Joint Base. There's a lot more military aircraft than NJFFS around Coyle. Their helicopters like to play hide and seek over on Greenwood WMA and do low level stuff at Coyle. The Delaware ANG performs cargo drops with large aircraft on a regular schedule. Heads up.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
[quote="Star Tree, post: 108835, member: 1499 There's a lot more military aircraft than NJFFS around Coyle. Their helicopters like to play hide and seek over on Greenwood WMA [/quote]

That explains what was going on. Last fall 2 of us were walking a "hidden" trail near the 50 fields area. A few choppers came in flying low and hovering just out of our sight. It sounded like one of them touch landed in one of the fields. We thought they were looking for somebody or us. Now I know they were just playing war games.

Reactions: Apu Zen

Geno

Jun 14, 2014
As an Air Force Combat Controller, I worked many an aerial drop there in the early `70s. Dover AFB and McGuire AFB used Coyle drop zone for training Air crews in personal (Airborne), heavy equipment and other types of drops. I was out of Dover. The Air Force leased a motel near there by the year for us to stay in as we rotated our teams to direct the drops. I don't remember the name of motel, but it had a log cabin style bar and restaurant. I also remember all of the sand up there. It was a great drop zone to jump into and I had about 30 jumps there. We went up for a week at a time. We would truck the heavy equipment loads by flat bed back to the bases. We kept a 10k forklift to lift and load the heavy equipment onto the flat bed trucks. It was a great place! One of our best drop zones on the east coast. There were NOTAMs on the days we were dropping.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As an Air Force Combat Controller, I worked many an aerial drop there in the early `70s. Dover AFB and McGuire AFB used Coyle drop zone for training Air crews in personal (Airborne), heavy equipment and other types of drops. I was out of Dover. The Air Force leased a motel near there by the year for us to stay in as we rotated our teams to direct the drops. I don't remember the name of motel, but it had a log cabin style bar and restaurant. I also remember all of the sand up there. It was a great drop zone to jump into and I had about 30 jumps there. We went up for a week at a time. We would truck the heavy equipment loads by flat bed back to the bases. We kept a 10k forklift to lift and load the heavy equipment onto the flat bed trucks. It was a great place! One of our best drop zones on the east coast. There were NOTAMs on the days we were dropping.

Any photo's?

Thanks for passing that info along. I as well as others appreciate it.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Navigating in a parachute has it's limitations. Lets hope you never have to attempt to go around anything.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
As a paratrooper out of Ft Dix, we use it for Air drop Operations and Paratrooper landing. We really hope you would not fly into the zone for safety reasons. I would hate to think I have to navigate my parachute around an unauthorized vehicle in the air. That would not be good.

There is an RC flying club that uses Coyle. Keep your eyes open ;)

Coyle Field

GPS Latitude - Deg. 39 Min 48 Sec 43 N
GPS Longitude - Deg. -74 Min. 25 Sec. 22 W

From the East: Take Rt. 72 West to between the 10 and 11 mile markers. Look for the gate on your left. The gate to our field is a small gate with a "stop" sign on it; if you reach the large gate (where the full-scale hangars are visible), you've gone too far.

Go through the gate (Please, lock it behind you!). Follow the road around, staying to the right at the fork. When you come out to the large opening, that's the runway. Stay to the left side; the pits are ahead on your left. Please, be alert for model and full-scale traffic.

Coyle Field Rules
  1. Pilot and helper must be alert for full scale aircraft or helicopters, both fire and National Gaurd.
  2. Stay clear and land as soon as possible.
  3. At times field may be closed by Fire Service Personnel, Field Saftey Officer, or club officers durning fire emergencies or training activities.
  4. The State Fire Service hangar is straight out from the flight line. Please stay away from hangar area as helicopters take off and land from this area.