Cranberry trouble here too?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Growers here in NJ are going to have to do the same thing.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
If this part is true, they will eventually have to accept the fact that they're growing more cranberries than the market needs. :(

"After struggling with an oversupply of the berries for nearly two decades..."

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
If this part is true, they will eventually have to accept the fact that they're growing more cranberries than the market needs. :(

"After struggling with an oversupply of the berries for nearly two decades..."
Agree.
20 years of over supply, yet I've seen some local growers adding new bogs, bringing dormant bogs back into production, ripping up active bogs in order to plant a different variety cranberry. There's certainly more to the story than is presented.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
ripping up active bogs in order to plant a different variety cranberry. There's certainly more to the story than is presented.

They are going to new varieties because they are being forced to. If they don't they will no longer be in business.

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
Agree.
20 years of over supply, yet I've seen some local growers adding new bogs, bringing dormant bogs back into production, ripping up active bogs in order to plant a different variety cranberry. There's certainly more to the story than is presented.

They are renovating bogs to new hybrid variety cranberries. It is not cheap either trust me. $10K and acre just in purchasing the plants not including all new solid set irrigation, Under Drains, and grading an excavation added to the costs. So figure close to 15K - 20K an acre plus depending what else gets done minus 3 to 5 years of growing and care before you even harvest a berry to get any of your money back. These new hybrids are the berries that are preferred for SDC fruit (Sweet and dried cranberries) that fit the need better (size, color and etc.) The older varieties unfortunately are like driving a 1985 Ford that still runs but are on borrowed time. Its like in any other business, change is inevitable in the future. This is not a farming practice you can change over night or within a year or two so you have to make forward progress a little at a time within your means of $. If you do not move forward with the future you will be too far behind and eventually out of business. Most cranberry growers have multi generations and plan for the future of their children to keep the farming alive. I am Proud to say I am generation #6 and my sons represent generation #7 in the Blueberry and Cranberry Operation In the Pines. Pine Barren Farmers are the proudest and most enthusiastic folks you will ever meet even in tough times. Not many people take this kind of gamble and expense in hopes to keep their farm alive and going for generations to come. It truly is "A Labor Of Love"

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
They are renovating bogs to new hybrid variety cranberries. It is not cheap either trust me. $10K and acre just in purchasing the plants not including all new solid set irrigation, Under Drains, and grading an excavation added to the costs. So figure close to 15K - 20K an acre plus depending what else gets done minus 3 to 5 years of growing and care before you even harvest a berry to get any of your money back. These new hybrids are the berries that are preferred for SDC fruit (Sweet and dried cranberries) that fit the need better (size, color and etc.) The older varieties unfortunately are like driving a 1985 Ford that still runs but are on borrowed time. Its like in any other business, change is inevitable in the future. This is not a farming practice you can change over night or within a year or two so you have to make forward progress a little at a time within your means of $. If you do not move forward with the future you will be too far behind and eventually out of business. Most cranberry growers have multi generations and plan for the future of their children to keep the farming alive. I am Proud to say I am generation #6 and my sons represent generation #7 in the Blueberry and Cranberry Operation In the Pines. Pine Barren Farmers are the proudest and most enthusiastic folks you will ever meet even in tough times. Not many people take this kind of gamble and expense in hopes to keep their farm alive and going for generations to come. It truly is "A Labor Of Love"

As I figured and stated there is more to the newspaper story than stated. For my info what family are you associated with? Can you elaborate a bit more on the new hybrid and it's uses? I'd also be interested in learning of the underdrains and solid set irrigation and any other bits of info you'd care to share. Where are these new plants grown, Rutgers research on Oswego rd? I'm just curious in learning all on what is going on around me.

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
Who developed the hybrids? Did Rutgers have anything to do with that?

Correct, Rutgers developed all the latest new varieties. Most of them yield 500 to 700 barrel an acre. Abbott Lee "Integrity Propagation" grows most of the plants (plugs) for the Jersey Growers. The growers who purchase these new varieties pay a Royalty Fee per acre as well. And there are strict rules and contracts for these you have to abide by. Very complex.

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
As I figured and stated there is more to the newspaper story than stated. For my info what family are you associated with? Can you elaborate a bit more on the new hybrid and it's uses? I'd also be interested in learning of the underdrains and solid set irrigation and any other bits of info you'd care to share. Where are these new plants grown, Rutgers research on Oswego rd? I'm just curious in learning all on what is going on around me.

Its a whole bunch in length to explain on here, so feel free to inbox me and I can explain further how some of the process works.