Croc sighting reported in Haddonfield

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That is pretty funny, by making the public aware of it, they only encourage people's curiousity. Oh Well, I can't blame anybody for wanting to see it. My friend Lee who runs the Pine Barrens Stove/bait/hunting shop down the road told me that a 3 foot croc was in Presidental lake a few years back. He said it devastated the local fauna though. I could understand that, you shouldn't mess with mother nature, it like the problem they are having with burmese pythons in florida now...but on a much smaller scale.

Jeff

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Hopkins pond is like two miles away from my house. There is all sorts of non native stuff in there like soft shell turtles, red eared sliders, map turtles, a croc doesn't suprise me.

Oct 25, 2006
I know they did as of 10 years ago, I haven't been to the pond in a while.

Hopkins Pond was very generous to me when i used to fish there in the late 70's and 80's when i was living in Pennsauken then Delran,fished it quite often.How's the turtles doing from the other thread,you been there lately? As of of now 10:40 p.m. while watching the news,the news channel is saying forget the Jersey devil,we now have the Jersey gator,no way the Jersey devil will ever be forgotten,the gator is now having it's fifteen minutes of fame.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Jimbo, what turtles are you talking about, the spotted turtles? Where in pennsauken did you live my parents both went to high school and they still own a house there near pennsauken c.c. As far as hopkins it use to have some big big snapping turtles haven't been there in a while but it is a nice pond.

Oct 25, 2006
Jimbo, what turtles are you talking about, the spotted turtles? Where in pennsauken did you live my parents both went to high school and they still own a house there near pennsauken c.c. As far as hopkins it use to have some big big snapping turtles haven't been there in a while but it is a nice pond.

Yes the spotted turtles,i was wondering how they were doing,and if they are still there,poachers really get my goat.I lived at springfield ave. and westfield ave.from 1978 to 1980,1980 to 1982 in delran at hunters glen apaatments with my first wife.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Yeah poachers get me too, fortunately this spot seems to be unknown and outside the usual heavy poached spots of burlington and ocean county. I was out thursday to the spot and they are all doing great. Here are some turtles from that trip. The guy with the crummy fingers is my dad(a hard working machinist) he got me into turtles so I took him out to my spot to see some.
IMG_7847.jpg

IMG_7846.jpg

IMG_7843.jpg

IMG_7804.jpg

IMG_7864.jpg

IMG_7851.jpg

IMG_7835.jpg

IMG_7830.jpg

IMG_7817.jpg

IMG_7812.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The guy with the crummy fingers is my dad(a hard working machinist)

That's what I do. My finger look like that all the time. On Monday morning they look half decent after a weekend of washings. Or after a weeks vacation.

Nothing to be ashamed of....I admire your dad since I know what it is like.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Glad to hear the turtles are doing fine and that the spot is not known,and also a great job to your dad and all machinists out there,a well repected profession.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Turtles that get poached are done so by collectors who keep them as pets. Alot of these guys breed them and sell the offspring. Some guys just take a few here and there to keep genetic diversity in their offspring so things don't become too imbred. Some assholes take it a step further and collect a few dozen and sell them at reptile shows or on the internet. Overall I don't think there are alot of big time poachers out there...but there is a huge demand for all turtles as pets. Also many of our more rare and precious turtles get shipped out of the country to asia where poachers can fetch big bucks for a spotted turtle. Some turtles such as snappers and diamondback terrapins end up in china town where they are eaten. I will take collectors taking a few here and there and then releasing their offspring in headstart programs, over them ending up on some asian guys plate though.:mad:

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Nothing in the Courier-Post today about the croc. I think it's out of Hopkins Pond by now and in another little pond or possibly the river (Cooper). A little excitement in an otherwise quiet little area, my old neck of the burbs before I moved to Berlin.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
dragon,

I once found about eight traps on the Batsto river which I assumed to be for the purpose of trapping turtles. I found two dead baby red bellied sliders inside a couple of them. Do you think whoever set the traps was out to make a buck?