Cumberland county railroad bridge

auto

Feb 14, 2014
Looking for an abandoned RR bridge I believe was in Cumberland County . A long time ago I was off road cycle riding and we crossed over a highway on a fairly high RR bridge. Been searching Google earth with no luck. Has it been removed? If so where was it? Any pics? Thanks

auto

Feb 14, 2014
Finally ran into a friend from the area I thought it was in
bridge.jpg
. Looking at it now, not as abandoned as I remember. My six year old son at the time was sitting in front of me on my bike. He has one of those deep memories of going over it. We'll take a ride down when the weather is nicer and see it in person.

auto

Feb 14, 2014
I described what I remembered to my buddy from Cumberland county. He knew exactly what i was asking about. He showed me where it was on his phone. This pic is from google earth. Its just south of Woodbine crossing Rt 550. Me and my son will ride down in the spring and see if we can walk across it.

Reactions: bobpbx

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have driven under that bridge many times.

https://boydsmaps.com/#21.06/39.230401/-74.795529/mbxhybrid/0.00/0.00

Me and my son will ride down in the spring and see if we can walk across it.

Looks like the kind of bridge that has no safety railings with gaps between the ties that go right through to the road below. I remember when I was about 12 years old (early 1960's), growing up in the suburbs of St. Louis. There was a similar bridge that I was curious about whenever we drove under it. One day I was visiting a friend who lived near there, and we thought it would be cool to walk across it. He started across and I followed, but when I stepped out on the bridge I realized it was a lot higher and more narrow than it appeared from the road. You could see the cars flying by below through the gaps between the ties. I went across, but it scared the hell out of me. That's one childhood experience I have NO desire to repeat.

Might be considered trespassing, sounds like a bad idea. But that's just me. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx